Heart Disease Community
rib pain after open heart surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

rib pain after open heart surgery

I had open heart surgery this last march. I have pain in the ribs under my arms. Is this from having my chest spread open? It only hurts when I try to lay on my side. I have the pain on both sides of my chest.

This discussion is related to rib cage won't mend after heart surgery.
Tags: rib pain
I am Dr. Arch Miller and I am on the reconstructive forum. You may be experiencing some instability of your sternum. You should talk to your local physician and check to see if this problem exists. If it does, go to the wdeb site rapidsternalclosure.com and you can seea way to fix that problem. The only way to completely evaluate your problem will be to get a 3D CT scan and that will evaluate your sternum and the wires used to close it. I hope this helps you, respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs
This Rapidsternalclosure can it be done after surgery? My open heart was done in April of this year. The pain is most unbearable. I would consider having this done if possible. What do you think?
I had a open heart surgery 5 weeks ago. Contact of cloth to the stiching are in chest is not tolerable at all. I have to hold my shirt every time.  Pl guide.
I had a quintuple bypass 2 years ago at age 49. I still get twinges of pain in areas under the ribs, especially after an exercise routine such as an exerting walk on the treadmill. To the best of my knowledge, due to the surgery - the nerves and tissue will never be quite like before such a surgery. It will most likely be something I live with for now on. The difficult thing is that once you've experienced any serious heart related trauma, you become very sensitive to any unusual pain or discomfort in the chest area, which for me always produces a slight sense of alarm.

Mark
I had a triple bypass in April, '09. I could not wear a shirt until 10 weeks after surgery. It does go away so hang in there
I had a triple bypass open heart surgery done. It's been over 5 years and I am in discomfort with a chest pain. It seems like it's in the muscle left side of my chest. The only time it doesn't pain is when I am lying down flat on my back. The doctors here told me I had to live with it. They used many shots of steriods and did no good. Persone pills to ease the pain but nothing is working. Was wondering if anyone can help in aching pain ever since.

I am a 20 year old male. I was forced to undergo open heart surgery several years ago because I was stabbed in the heart and almost died. I am still experiencing very bad pain in my ribs. My ribs feel extremely different from the way they felt before the surgery. The lower ribs, which I used to be able to pry my fingers under, are no longer even and are now very crooked and have sharp "points" sticking out of them. My upper ribs hurt, especially on my left side. There is a lot of swelling and a very very intense, stinging mixed with aching pain when I apply pressure to that rib. I have received almost no medical attention because of the fact that I have no insurance and have been experiencing pain and discomfort for many years since my surgery. I would like to know if there are any steps I can take to make this pain stop, and possibly make my ribs the way they were before I was stabbed and had surgery.
Sorry to hear your story. I had open heart surgery almost eight years ago for a mitral valve replacement. It was a birth defect that caught up with me at age 39. I have been in so much pain, and have tolld my Dr.'s to be told its nerves, it will go away. Finally, the cardiologist just felt the crevice going down the middle of my rib cage, yes you can fit your knuckels inside. Also, my rib cage is all uneven, so sore to even touch, I feel severely bruised. Im in pain constantly. I caught phnemonia after surgery..I had gotten a MRSA infection after sugery, so they had opened me back up and had to scrape down to the bone. IV antibiotics for 6 weeks, and a vac pak. Now, so many years later, he says well go back to the surgeon, see if he can do anything for you??? Like what? I think Dr.'s should have a understanding on this subject? Not just let you suffer.. For YEARS! I am discusted and in pain.
I had open heart surgery in march of 09 to replace the ascending aorta. Also had one bypass while they had the hood up. I have fairly significant pain just about everywere rib, chest, or back related. My chyroprachtor is able to gently nudge everything back into place and give me total relief until I twist and lift wrong and knock everything out again.

I would advise anyone who has been spread open to find a good, reputable chyropractor.
I had aortic valve replacement and one bypass almost two years ago.  My rib cage is sensitive in some areas, and when active around HH stuff, I experience discomfort in back and front rib cage.   I continue to exercise with long walks.  A lifesaver for me has been a massage twice a month.  I can live with it.