Heart Disease Expert Forum
right and left heart cath.

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

right and left heart cath.

I am scheduled for a right and left heart cath. in a few days.  I just wanted to find out what some of the things they look for.  I do have a pacemaker also, and I was wondering what they have to do to reposition the leads if they become dislodged?          

My echo. shows moderate leakage in my tricuspid valve and mild in my mitral valve.  Does the cath.  give a better estimate of the regurg.  Is it usually less or more than the echo?  I also have a Patent foremen ovale.  Will they be able to get a better idea of its size with a cath?

One of the major reasons for doing the right heart cath. is to measure my pulmonary pressures.  They have been elevated by echo. for quite a while, in the 40s.  My doc believes this may be the underlying cause for my heart arrythmias and symptoms of heart failure.  I am also taking beta blockers, antiarrythmics, coumadin, lasix, and high dose of calcium channel blockers.  My question is ,  Will the fact that I have been taking cardiezem and other c.c.bs for such a long time effect the PA pressures.  I know that is a first line of treatment for pulmonary hypertension?  When I'm in the hospital for the cath. they are also going to start me on a drug called dofetilide.  Do people usually have a good response with that med.?

I know there are alot of questions in there, but I would really appreciate any of your knowledge. Thankyou so much.
The right heart cath is used to measure pressures inside the heart chambers. The left heart cath also measure pressures, but also looks at the coronary arteries and the pumping ability of the heart; it  can also look at the degree of mitral reurgitation. I would not say that echo or cath is more accurate, rather they provide complementary info. The right heart cath does pose a small risk of dislodging the pacemaker wires, but this is unusual, other than in a freshly implanted pacemaker. The calcium channel blockers certainly could affect your pulmonary pressures favorably. Dofetilide is a newer medicine being used for atrial fibrillation, typically when other medications have not proved effective.