Heart Disease Community
scared for my 4yr old - cardiologist appt this friday

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

my son's doctor discovered a heart murmur on my 4 year old this past monday... he said that it may be nothing, but still referred me to a cariologist. i'm sooo scared... i've never heard of a heart murmur and i've gone to the internet to get more information. even though it said that most are common, i'm still worried and can't even sleep. does anyone else know about heart murmurs? has anyone had one before? if so, what have you done to make it better??
I have a heart murmur due to turbulent blood flow through my heart.

My granddaughter had a heart murmur that was discovered shortly after her birth. So did her father. It has gone away. She is very healthy and smart.

Do not worry about this until you see the cardiologist.

My best to your boy,

Jack
I've had a heart murmur for about 45 years (that I know of).  Hasn't been causing too much of a problem.  At least the doc has something to report when he listens to my heart.  "Aha, you have a heart murmur", says he.  "I know", says I.
LOVE your screenname!!

I also have a heart murmur, have known about it for about 30 years.  My murmur is the result of a leaky mitral valve.

After a severe case of the flu, at the age of 10, my daughter was also found to have a heart murmur.  Hers was also due to a leaky valve.  A high fever really makes her murmur loud (don't even need a stethoscope to hear it from across a room).  She is 27 now, and at the last checkup, 4 years ago, it appeared as though the valve was no longer leaky as much.  She will have it rechecked this year, just to be sure.  

Lots of people have murmurs, babies and kids too.  The reasons are variable, sometimes "innocent," so don't worry.  Hopefully, the cardiologist will be able to put your mind at ease.  BTW, our pediatric cardio was fabulous!  Hope you have the same positive experience....Hang in there mom.  

Connie
My 5 year old has been making references to his heart since he became very ill with a stomach virus in late Feb.  I had him checked out 3 different times at his pediatrician, they detected nothing.   On a pre-surgery visit (for an unrelated issue) the surgeon lingered over his chest area when listening to his heart.  When he was done I asked my husband to leave with my son and I talked to the surgeon.  He heart a very clear murmur and sent us to cardiology in order to get clearance for surgery.  I was totally freaked out.  I couldn't believe that my son's pediatrician could miss something they were suppose to be specifically looking for.  Anyway, the cardiologist also heard the murmur and did and EKG and echocardiogram.  Both came back normal and he was just diagnosed with a benign murmur.  Apparently A LOT of kids have them young like this.  My cardiologist told me it is because everything is kind of "cramped" in their little chests causing some to have the murmurs but as they grow, the murmurs disappear.

I understand your fear, mine was out of control.  The cardiology visit is standard when they hear something, hopefully it will be just a benign murmur.  The fact that you are going is great, knowledge is power, I firmly believe that.

Good luck to you and your son.
thank you all for your responses  
i thought they would give me the results the same day. i'm waiting now for the results. i'm a nervous wreck!!! i know that most are innocent murmurs, but i still can't help it.   :-)

I was hoping you'd post back, I know the nervousness that waiting can cause.  Good luck to you, I hope you get results soon.
i finally got the results back!!! and they're normal!  OMG!!! you have no idea what a relief this is... oh wait, i'm sure you do.   :-)   but, man, what a weight off my shoulders!
just wanted to let you know and share my VERY good news. (i just hope i don't have to go through this again)
What wonderful news!!  Celebrate and enjoy the day!!!

Congratulations!!!  It really is a relief, I know!!!  

Have a good one!
Speaking of heart murmur. I think my 5 yr old son has one. I was listening to his heart and I hear an extra beat. This is what a heart murmur is isn't it? I am a little worried. 3 mths ago my son had a tonsillectomy and adnoidectomy. He took pain meds ( Lortab) for 6 days afterwards. I hated giving him the med but he was in so much pain and the ENT said it was fine. I have never given such a strong med to my son, so I hope it didn't cause him to start having trouble with his heart. He seems normal. He has lost alot of weight after the surgery but has lost a little bit more since. I want to see if anyone else has had a similar experience because I feel like I am overreacting since his pediatrician has never mentioned a heart murmur.
A murmur is more like a lub-dub-pshhh sound.  At least that's what mine sounds like as some of the blood leaks back through the faulty valve.  Have your pediatrician listen to it.

It doesn't seem likely the pain medication would have caused a murmur, if he has one.  Some kids aren't diagnosed until around your son's age.  I was four when they noticed mine (which I was born with).  My mom always joked it was the first time I wasn't screaming when I saw a doctor.  :-)