Heart Disease Community
shall I smoke a pipe

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

shall I smoke a pipe

I had a heart attack back in june last year, I had a stent fitted and feel fine now.
The main thing I miss and it is driving me crazy is not being able to smoke ciggerettes. I used to smoke quite heavilly, but quit after my heart attack.
I was thinking about smoking a pipe.
I used to smoke one occassionally and enjoyed it.
Now when I smoke a pipe I DO NOT INHALE AT ALL. I just puff gently on it taking a long time to finish the pipe.
What are the dangers of pipe smoking as apposed to cigerettes if you do not inhale the pipe.
personally I cant se how there can be any stress on the heart as there is no smoke entering the lungs or bloodstream.
just wondered what the general thoughts were on this issue
thanks
vangellis
If I recently suffered an MI and needed a stent, the last thing I would do is SMOKE ANYTHING. I have never smoked so I don't understand how it feels to quit, but I think an MI would do it for me.

Good Luck,

Jon
I smoked for longer than I want to admit to the public, it is the shame of my life.  I understand the addiction very well.  

When you smoke a pipe, the reason it is appealing is that the smoke contains nicotine, and the nicotine is absorbed into the body even though you are not inhaling it.  The nicotine enters the system and constricts your blood vessels.  Needless to say, this is not good for your heart.  It will quickly be habit forming and probably it will be only a matter of time before you are smoking cigarettes again.  

Like Erijon said, I cannot imagine smoking anything after a heart attack and a stent.  I've had several of each and am doing everything in my power to get my heart healthy again, I won't even get physically close to someone who is smoking.  

I had my first heart attack before I retired and a person who I worked with and was the same age as I had one about the same time.  I quit smoking and started doing aerobic exercise.  The other person continued to smoke.  Almost ten years later, I celebrated a wonderful Easter with my children and grandchildren.  The other person didn't get the chance, being six feet under.    
Nicotine enters the blood stream similar to a sublingual (under the tongue) nitro pill that dialtes the coronary vessels to reduce angina pain.
How big a shock do you need to be warned that your health is fragile and any form of tobacco is lethal?