Heart Disease Expert Forum
sharp pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

sharp pain

I have been having this weird "flutter" feeling that I know is my heart, but it seems to be much less when no caffeine.  I also noticed that every once in awhile I will get this really sharp pain kinda on the side of my left breast close to my chest area. When this happens its very sharp and only last a few seconds to a minute or two. But while this is happening If I sit real still and dont take deap breaths I dont really feel it, but as soon as I move or try to take a deep breath it really shoots the pain. I'm only 26 and have had ekg and holter for the flutter and everything was okay.

1. Can this pain be related to the flutters?
2. What could the pain be from?
3. Does it sound heart related? and should I get it checked?

I did mention it to the doctor at one visit and he said it had nothing to do with my heart something about musculer or something, but I dont know. Thanks
Dear mis,

It is possible that the "flutter" feeling that you are having is PVCs and PACs.  This would consistent with the decrease in flutters with no caffeine.  There are many postings on this site concerning PVCs and PACs that youi can research.  The sharp pains may be related but could also be musculoskeletal as your doctor suggested.  In general PVCs and PACs are benign and do not require specific treatment.  Avoidance of caffeine and stress help to decrease the frequency and severity.
If he said it wasn't anything to do with your heart and it was muscular, then it might be intercostal (between the ribs) muscle or nerves acting up.  It hurts quite a lot and its close proximity to the heart makes it seem heart related.  Of course, I could be completely off base, but I know people who have been carted away in ambulances because they thought they were having a heart attack, only to be told by their doctor that there was nothing wrong with their heart at all, but intercostal nerves/muscles acting up.
Dear mis,

You are not alone when you report having a really sharp pain in the left breast area by your heart.  I, too, have these pains. I could be sitting at the computer, relaxed, and typing, then get one of these really sharp pains that leaves me breathless and unable to move until the pain has subsided.  It's hard to believe that this type of pain that feels like heart pain is musculoskeletal.

I'll be going to my doctor this week, because in less than one week, I have had three of these type of attacks, to include heart palpitations.
I've been having the exact kind of pains (sharp, just under ribcage either in front or in back) when i inhaled deeply. Feels like someone jammed a pocketknife in there for a second.  Earlier I was worrried that it was associated with my heart (PVCs, etc) but lately I'm thinking it's not related, and I'm heading to see a chiropractor soon.  Hopefully we all just have a pinched nerve or something, and not mini heart attacks :)

goodluck to all
I am a 32 year old female in good shape.  My mom always said this sensation was "an air bubble in the lungs".  I don't think that is probably it.  But I too want to find out what the problem is.  I have experienced an increase in these episodes over about the past week, and had over a dozen just today,(which is why I am on here trying to figure out what's going on!)  The comments about them being muscoskeletal have me curious as I have just completed some physical therapy sessions for a rib that "rolls out".  Any help or information would be appreciated.
I too am having this exact same pain.  Its on the left side under my breast and it feels like I am being stabbed with a knife from the front to the back.  They totally incapacitate me when they are happening.  They last for several hours, sometimes days with different pain levels.  They are extremely painful towards evening and when I am trying to sleep.  I cant lie down, I must sleep sitting propped up.  Ive blamed it on Pepsi, beer, drinking out of a straw but it still occurs.  Is this a health problem?  Or is it just something you deal with?
A related discussion, heart issues was started.