Heart Disease Expert Forum
short of breath
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

short of breath

I have had stents and bypass surgery and i am so short of breath I can hardly walk through the house  without getting out of breath Ive had to give up about every thing i used to be able to do my doctor doesn't help me at all. is this the way I have to live the rest of my life. I used to be very active.  Do you have any ideas?  Please... I am 69 years old.
Hi nannyjj,
Your symptoms are concerning and I would definitely recommend that you arrange an appointment with your family doctor / cardiologist / cardiac surgeon.
Shortness of breath after stents and bypass surgery can indicate changes in underlying heart pump function (measured as 'ejection fraction' on echo), changes in heart rhythm (detected on EKG / Holter monitoring), or continuing problems with coronary blood flow (the vessels supplying blood to the heart). Other factors may also contribute to shortness of breath, including underlying lung problems, anemia & general deconditioning post cardiac surgery.
If your tests have all been normal then this is a good start and may indicate the need for a cardiac rehabilitation program which helps heart patients regain fitness.
As a start I would review the mentioned possibilities with your doctor and ideally your cardiologist who recommended stents and surgery.
Take care and good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949