Heart Disease Expert Forum
short pr interval on ecg

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

short pr interval on ecg

Hi, just looking for some advice and reassurance hopefully!

I am 37, female, and since hyperthyroidism/graves 7 years ago(which was treated with RAI and now on thyroxine), I have had palpitations on and off, never a big problem, and can go for months without.  Last 2 years after birth of 3rd child have had anaemia and low iron levels occasionally, and felt them worse then.  Also notice them around different times of monthly cycle.  Havent really ever gave them much thought.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I went to  GP about something else, and she asked if still go palpitations, and said to have ECG, which I did.  

It came back saying normal with a short pr interval.  She didnt mention anything else, so Im presuming thats all that was on it.  She emailed cardiologist, and now just waiting on his opinion. She said she didnt see anything particularly worrying, but better to get it checked with a trained eye.  That was 2 weeks ago, and still waiting to hear, the holidays havent helped!  

After looking all this up, Im worrying a bit, seems like it could be numerous things, some more serious, or nothing.  Ive had some anxiety and panic in past too since thyroid bother, dont know if thats significant.

No other symptoms with or without palpitations.  Ive been dizzy occasionally, but that seems to correspond with low iron, and no palpitations when dizzy.  My heart has never raced, apart from years ago when hyperthyroid, so I know what it feels like, but its never done it since.  Oh, well, unless Ive had a full blown panic attack, but thats pretty rare for me these days too, thankfully!

Any opinions?  Reassurance?

Thanks,

H
Tags: Heart
The first thing to say is that the analysis printed by the ECG machine on the ECG is just the machine's interpretation of the test, and is far from perfect. Generally, these comments are overread by a physician such as a cardiologist, and amended, before a final ECG report is issued. Therefore, your PR interval may or may not be short and I wouldn't worry until you receive a full report.
The PR interval is short in children and lengthens as we get older. A normal value in adults is 120 to 200 milliseconds. It is however shorter than 120ms in approximately 2 to 4% of the adult population. It represents the time interval between the start of electrical activation of the upper chambers (the atria) and the lower chambers (the ventricles). The 2 most common causes of a short PR interval are 1) an ectopic atrial rhythm, which is usually transient and very rarely of any consequence, and 2) Wolff Parkinson White syndrome. This is often associated with palpitations, but is very treatable. It is something which your cardiologist will be able to see on your ECG. Palpitations are very common and are most often due to entirely benign causes. If the PR interval is short, and you have signs of WPW on your ECG, you should see an electrophysiologist (a cardiologist who specializes in heart rhythm disorders). This may also be appropriate if your palpitations have been associated with some other symptoms such as syncope (blackout), or if the palpitations are frequent or distressing. Holter monitoring (recording your ECG continuously over a period of time) may help to uncover the cause of the palpitations if this is the case. This is something your GP has undoubtedly considered.
However as regards the reported short PR interval I would await your cardiologist's opinion before embarking on any further work-up.
Hi there,

Thanks for replying.  I have since heard from GP, and cardiologist had reviewed my ecg, and said - the p waves are normal, so doesnt indicate an av nodal/junctional rhythm(or something like that)! No mention of WPW.  Nothing else was wrong on ecg, he suggested a 24 holter monitor, and if that never showed up anything, a loop recorder.

That was it basically.  So would I be right in thinking that he never seen anything on ecg to indicate WPW?  My GP made it sound like the extra tests were to try and find a reason for the palpitations, if one.

I did mention to GP I had looked this up and was worried about WPW, and she said if had been worried about that is sure other things wouldve been done and would be moving quickly with tests etc...

Just wondered on your opinions now, I know I should really probably see all that as good news, I have just been so worried about it all.

Thank you for your help