Heart Disease Expert Forum
should i get a heart cath anyway

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

should i get a heart cath anyway

i am a 40 yr old female. high cholesterol since age 19. no meds. no reflux history. father had 6 bypasses. two weeks ago at 3 am i woke up from having chest pain in the middle of my chest. after a couple of minutes, i got real dizzy and very nauseated. went to bathroom to throw up where i then broke out in a cold sweat with the worst feeling of doom. i prayed. a few mins later, all the symptoms except the dizziness went away. did not go to the ER. next day, i had a EKG, followed by a stress test days later. no bloodwork. i was told that the EKG was abnormal but it was nothing to worry about and i passed the stress test. i was given reflux med (it was not reflux) and told that cath was not really needed. should i get one anyway. this has never happened to me before.
From what you have described it sounds like you have significant risk factors for the development of coronary artery disease (family history, high cholesterol).  Hopefully you do not use tobacco!  

The symptoms you describe are concerning for a cardiac cause of chest pain.  Your doctors decided to obtain a stress test which by your report was normal.  

Without being able to review the stress test personally I cannot comment on the likelihood that this was a false negative study.  False negative refers to the fact that the stress test was normal when it may be incorrect.  No stress test is 100% accurate.  The gold standard is cardaic catheterization.  

Based on your symptoms and stress test results your doctor reassurred you that a cath was not needed.  I do not have enough clinical information here to say otherwise.  If you feel strongly that you should have a cardiac cath then I would discuss this with your cardiologist or pursue a second opinion.  If those symptoms were to occur again I would recommend you call 911 and proceed to your nearest emergency room.
thanks for input. no, i do not smoke or use tobacco.the only thing that i know about the stress test was that it was stopped due to dypsnea. pulse got to 186 in 6 min. they just said there was evidence for deconditioning on the results. i have shortness of breath sometimes when i lay down on my back at night that i cannot explain. just wanted your thoughts as to whether or not you would do a heart cath based on the episode i had that early am. the dr cannot explain the clammy cold sweat or nausea, etc that went away after about 15 mins
Hello littlebit73 by seeing your post and having chest pain seem its the symptoms of heart attack because at this age chances of heart attack is more and in women in research its found that is more.Hope you already consult with your doctor.