Heart Disease Community
side effects of heart medications

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

side effects of heart medications

I am a 54 year old Asian Pacific Male from India highly addicted to chewing tobacco habit

I am suffering from High Blood Pressure (130-140/90-95), Excessive Heart beats (95-100) and borderline Diabetes (100-135). I have been prescribed (from last about 2 years):
Ramipril 5 mg once daily (Altace)
Simvastatin 20 mg Once daily (Zocor)
Metoprolol Succ er 50 mg tasan Once daily (Toprol)
Ecotrin 81 mg Once daily (ASPIRIN)
I additionally take Centrum Vitamins

Of late I have observed that I am lacking general focus and concentration (like my brain goes to sleep). I feel mental tiredness. I have to tell my brain to be alert when I make mistakes counting money bills etc.

I have a suspicion that this is due to the side effect of one or more of the above drugs. Is it true? Is it possible? What is the best course of remedy I should pursue?

Harisheila
You need to stop the chew habbit !   and change diet - so you can get on track !
With all blood pressure Medications, you will get tons of Side effects !  Toprol is one Nasty medication, that packs a punch !  I was on it for over 6.5 years straight !  it was
bad !!   Zocor is for lowering cholesteral down -  however it too has bad side effects..
combined you must be in a living hell !  

the daily Confusion , and focus and not being Alert - is a toprol side effect for sure !
Hows your Hair.. has it thinned out yet ?   and have you Gained any Waight yet ?

I think its best if you want to persue something of change.
to kick the chew habbit first..  and then see your doctor and have him or her change the meds , to something you can tollerate !   and you can try Omega 3 oils (fish oil )  for
cholestroal lowering , its a bit slower acting -but it works well.  plus its natural and you want have any side effects from it.  

also wih Toprol  you must ween off it slow..  even at 50mg per day useage
your doctor should help you on this !    

wish you luck and take care..  Booger the nose

"Of late I have observed that I am lacking general focus and concentration (like my brain goes to sleep). I feel mental tiredness. I have to tell my brain to be alert when I make mistakes counting money bills etc."

This sounds more like chronic heart failure to me, nicotine is the worst thing for it.  My doc would add a diruetic to what you are taking and go for 130/80 pressure.