skipped beats/abnormal ecg question
I have had skipped beats since the birth of my son 19 years ago. But about a year ago I experienced a rapid irregular heartbeat and called 911. They gave me the drug that resets your heart. They said it sounded like svt but I never really got it totaly checked out. Since then all has been good but for the past week I have had skipped beats and thumps every time I sit or lay down. I went to the cardiologist and he did an ecg and said it was abnormal and gave me an event monitor and wants me to have a echocardiogram and blood work done. I asked if he saw any skipped beats on the ecg but he said no, it was just abnormal and could be the way my heart sits in my chest or something. since then I have been worried sick as to why my ecg would not be normal. Any thoughts on this? I never have any swelling, chest pain, dizziness or anything else other than the irregular beats.

This discussion is related to skipped beats and fast beats.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

He may be referring to an axis deviation of the heart. There can be a right axis or left axis deviation. This can occur due to many causes and it can sometimes be due to  intraventricular conduction system defects, which can cause the skipped beats. Sometimes a routine EKG may not pick up any conduction defects, hence the event monitor can help in recording any conduction defects. So, have the tests done, it will help to clarify the cause for your symptoms.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.