Heart Disease Community
slow heart rate

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

slow heart rate

I am a 23 year old male. i am not an athlete and my at rest heart rate in the middle of the day is between 46 and 50 bpm. the reason i am concerned is that i have passed out twice for no appairent reason. i am going to see a cardiologist in the up coming month but i would like to find out as much as i can before i go. if anyone has any insight as to what i may be up against i would be forever greatful if you would share it with me. thank you.
The normal heart rate is between 60 and 100. Often, conditioned athletes can have resting heart rates below 60. Now, if you are having symptoms and episodes where you are passing out or getting lightheaded, the thing to to would be to see your cardiologist. It is not possible to provide more information about what might be going on without further evaluation.
There have been many posts regarding low heart rate.  Often the underlying cause is the thyroid gland that does not secrete enough hormones. There could be an electrolyte imbalances, etc. and a blood test can rule that out.

An admonition as well as the comment on prior post is according to James Willerson, M.D., professor of cardiology and chairman of internal medicine at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, "When the heart rate is too slow, most people experience disturbing symptoms, such as dizziness, fatigue and weakness. Contact your health care provider if you are experiencing these symptoms or have other concerns regarding your heart rate".

Thanks for your question, and if you have any further questions or comments, you are welcome to respond. Take care,

Ken