stage 4 heart disease
My 42 year old son has just been diagnosed with stage 4 cardiomyopathy.  He is in Florida and I am in Pennsylvania so I cannot go to the cardiologist with him.  He was rushed to the hospital 3 weeks ago with congestive heart failure.  He is HIV positive although his T cell count is good, has hepatitis C, has been a smoker and drug/alcohol user for almost 29 years.

He is in denial I think and so am I to a certain extent.  He has never had heart problems in the past although he says he has noticed for the last few years that he has been getting more winded.

I want an idea of what is ahead and what planning I need to do with him.  He is just getting on medicaid and has an appointment with social security in a few weeks for disability.

I know that no one has the answer to how long he is going to live, but any comments would help me.  Thanks.
Sorry for the bad news you have gotten. Everyone as an individual cope better, better defensive system, etc, so it is difficult to prognose.  I have provided a link to a relevant thread and below the thread there are links to discusions. Thanks for sharing.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Stage-4-Congestive-Heart-Failure/show/476375
ive researched stage 4 congestive heart failure and some doctors says they have only 6 months to live unfortunately, i think the drink and drugs would be to blame for this sorry, they have caused irreversible damage to the heart he will need a heart transplant or will sadly pass away
Unfortunately, transplantation would probably be out of the question as the above poster mentioned due to the son's medical history.
Sorry to hear your news. KenKeith always has some very great links and he has given you a great one. It sounds like your son is making the right moves in taking care of himself.  Mom, love him like there's no tomorrow! You may be surprised at how many tomorrows you are given.  My heart & prayers are with you.  Take care, Ally†