Heart Disease Community
staph infection on incision from open heart surgery

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

I have been treated for a staph infection following open heart surgery for 11 months.  I had a huge cavity in my chest from the infection. I was treated with two antibiotics intravenoudly for three months while  a nurse treated the wound wth medication. I was then put on oral antibiotics as the wound medications continued.

The surgeon said it would never close up and I should have another surgery to remove the wires and scrape the sternum. That part wasn't scary. What was prohibitive was the required muscle wrap and skin graft that would render my arms weak and useless.

I opted for continued treatment. The wound did close up on it's own after seven months of treatment. I continued with the Sulfameth/tmp DS orally and I thought I was cured, but as it turned out, not quite. A new small bubble appeared an inch below the old wound and a surgeon opened it and drained the pus. It healed with a scab.

The scab has been draining small drops of pus for two weeks now. I have been self cleaning it with alcohol, Neosporin and covering it with gauze. The surgeon said that it would never heal if I don't have his radical, debilitating surgery. I would rather be dead then to become a helpless cripple.

Surely there must be another option.

This discussion is related to Staph infection following bypass surgery.
How about getting a second opinion. You may not get it to heal simply with home care because you may not be using the proper protocol for dealing with the wound. It sounds like you're close to the finish line with the infection. Don't let it get out of hand again. See if another doctor would be willing to help with a less invasive treatment plan.
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
aauntamy commented on photo
aauntamy uploaded a new photo
Foods You’re Throwing Away Every Ti...
14 hrs ago by gymdandee