Heart Disease Community
statin versus red yeast rice

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

statin versus red yeast rice

which is safer to take for high ldl cholesterol, the statin zecor or the natural supplement red yeast  rice
I eat avocados to lower mine. Mine was so high a few years back that the doctor had prescribed pills...which he said may or may not work as mine is inherited ( and yes, there is such a thing ). I ended up getting pregnant ( so refused the pills just in case ) and started craving avocados. Went back a few times for blood tests ( as is typical when prego ) and my LDL had dropped...by a lot!
The doctor asked me how I did it...asked what had changed. I told him that I had started eating one of those gruesome green monsters at least once or twice a day....and he said that's what did it.

Check into it...it may help you too. If not I would go with the natural stuff.
The recommendation of the American Heart Association is lifestyle modifications followed by statin use depending on the level of LDL and your risk factors.  Statins are relatively safe drugs which may have some side effects in some patients.