Heart Disease Expert Forum
statins
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

statins

I am a 65 year old healthy and reasonably fit male.   I had a successful a fib ablation two years ago, and have been diagnosed with two 40-70% blockages (CT scan).  I try to practice aggressive prevention of heart disease.
   I currently take 40 mg lipitor and have my overall cholesterol down to 125 with an ldl of 85.  I would like to change to a generic statin, but I suspects statins are prescribed with specific purposes in mind.  
   Might there be a downside to my switching to a less expensive alternative, or if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
Related Discussions
242508_tn?1287427246
You could switch to a generic form of the same drug that you are on.  For example:  if you take zocor, you could switch to simvastatin, if you take pravachol, you could switch to pravastatin.  I wouldn't mess around with lovastatin because it is slightly weaker, plus I doubt that anyone would have you on a brand-name of this drug.  Lipitor and crestor aren't available in generic.  If you take either one of these you could still switch to simvastatin, but definitely discuss this with you doctor.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity