Heart Disease Community
stent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

stent

I recently had a heart attack-99% main artery blockage and 48% blockage in 2nd. Doctor tried to put a stent in but was unable to. He said my artery was to small along with the location of the blockage. He did do angioplasty but I don't feel like I was "fixed" properly. I asked him how I would know if the angioplasty didn't work and he responded I would have symptoms-hopefully not life threatening. Is there not a stent available for small children that should work? I am a 53 yr female, 4'11" and weigh 105lbs. Also, my mother died at 49 yrs old of heart disease and grandmother died in her fifties from heart disease.Thank you for your time and input.
There aren't children/adult stents, simply lots of different sizes because all arteries are different in size. I believe the smallest stent size is for arteries around 2.5-3.0mm. It's true what your Doctor says, you will get symptoms if a blockage starts to form. It will usually be a gradual process, so the sooner you react and get to your Doctor, the better. As your blockage increases in size (IF it does), then you will likely form collateral feeds to bypass it anyway which is a natural function of the heart.
There are stents for small vessels and children, but there is some uncertainty with smaller vessels so a stent procedure is generally recommended as a treatment option for larger vessels. Cardiovascular configuration regarding size, location, etc. is well established at birth and very shortly thereafter.  If you have had a viable and well functioning cardiovascular system for 53 years, the small size of the main artery will have been well  compensated providing an alternative vessel configuration and appropriate blood flow. A stent may be of little benefit, but I'm sure there is a stent for the caliber of your vessel. A child's stent requires adjustment for a growing vessel so there is a different parameter to consider for that population.

Regarding the effectiveness of the angioplasty and the suggestion you rely on your symptoms for the efficacy of the angioplasty and your response how would you know:?  If the angioplasy is not effective, it seems reasonable you would experience the same symptoms you had prior to the procedure.

Thanks for sharing and if you have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond.  Take cae,

Ken

Coronary stent placement is an established treatment for patients with symptomatic coronary artery disease.1 2 However, uncertainty about the results of stenting in small vessels has been the reason that only patients with target vessels 3 mm have been included in randomized trials.1 2 Therefore, stenting is generally recommended as a treatment option only for larger vessels.3 Indeed, this constitutes a major limitation for broadening the indications for coronary stent implantation
Thank you for your response to my question. You both were very helpful and made me feel better about my treatment. Good health to all!!