Heart Disease Community
stents

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

stents

just had 7 stents put in 2 days ago 4 in one and 3 in another all in the same procedure . is this unusual
Well that is a high number, but the highest I know of with friends is 9 in one go. He was only given that many stents because he was not an ideal candidate for bypass surgery. I had 5 of the longest stents installed last september.
Stent implants appear and there is evidence of many unnecessary stent implants that are now being uncovered, and this excessiveness should be stopped to avoid the high cost of health care as well as a patient's welfare.  

My doctor (then,not now) about 7 years ago did a stent implant and left a 70% blocked vessel untouched.  Then 2 months later wanted to do the 70% blocked vessel, and I had no symptoms and felt quite well.  I was shocked and asked why now!  Why not at the time of the other implant? No sensible answer, and he moved to another state two weeks later!!!  My current doctor tor the past 6 years has never mentioned a stent implant...I am totally on medication, and feel healthy with not 1 day of any illness not even a cold.

I can get into the vascular physiology, anatomy and hemodynamics that can illustrate why having one implant can induce a problem in another segment that would require another stent, etc.etc...either at the time of the implant or a short time subsequent.

Be a smart health consumer and learn and weigh the options available before taking any action.  Get a second opinion from a non-interventional cardiologist who doesn't make this/her money by the number stents they do per year and the prestige with a hospital that looks the other way.  If I had a number of stents, I would not be able to believe the stents weren't necessary, but I can say all too many unnecessary stent procedures happen intentionly with a profit motivation.

Thanks for you question.  Take care.

I had five stents inserted within a very short period of time, four at one session, one about six months  later.  It is a lot of stents, but like Ed mentioned, I'm not a good candidate for bypass either, and I have a poor history of developing collateral arteries.  I've had no problems with the stents, they have remained clear for as long as eleven years.  

You have the stents, I'd now do what was necessary to keep any additional blockages from forming. Those of us who post on this site are simply expressing our experiences, and they are varied.   In my case, I took Plavix, totally changed my diet to control diabetes, quit eating red meat, worked out daily, and have had no more problems.  In the big picture, you obviously have a problem with plugged heart arteries, and eliminating the cause should, in my opinion, be your focus.  Best wishes, and keep us informed.
Quote:  " I'd now do what was necessary to keep any additional blockages from forming....eliminate the cause"

>>>>The cause can't be eliminated only treated. True, stents are no cure, Therefore, medication is in the best interest for the individual to treat the underly cause with medication not withstanding interventional therapy. One may or may not be a good canidate for a bypass, and not all indivduals can be effectively treated with medication either so intervention and stents appear to be the only option. An diabetics have a statistic that relates specifically to those individuals, etc. So "Stents No Better Than Heart Drugs in Diabetics."
Monday, June 08, 2009,  Reuters

Diabetics with stable heart disease do just as well taking drugs alone as getting quick angioplasty or bypass surgery to open blocked heart arteries, U.S. researchers said on Sunday.

In a commentary in the journal, ** Dr. William Boden of the University at Buffalo in New York said doctors should question why so many diabetics still get angioplasty. The continued high rate of use of (angioplasty) (1.24 million procedures per year in the U.S.) and the high rate of drug-eluting stent usage strongly suggests that we critically reassess our approach to revascularization, if needed, in diabetics with coronary disease," Boden wrote, ... "about 60 percent of patients in the insulin-sensitizing group took rosiglitazone or Avandia. He said there was no increased risk of heart attacks among patients in this group".

Diabetics with stable chest pain account for about 40 percent of all U.S. patients who get angioplasty, according to Wachovia analyst Larry Biegelsen, who said the findings could cut U.S. procedures by 3 percent.

Source: From the Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo Schools of Medicine and Public Health, Buffalo (W.E.B.); and Nuffield Department of Surgery,

________________
I invite any authority who comments that medication that successfully treats symptoms should get stent implants be cited?!  And after a stent implant an ACE inhibitor and/or beta blocker be discontinued.  We are not talking about individuals that are not good for a bypass to get stents, and it has not much to do about one's experience other than the relationship with their medical experience. The discussion is about medical research, professional opinions, etc.  Let's keep an open mind here, and not revert to herd instinct (self indentification with a group) and personal feelings.