Heart Disease Community
sternum ?? pain

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

sternum ?? pain

i had a 7 yes seven way CABG  in May 08. the surgeons used an artery from my leg. 12 hour surgery (on pump)
hard time defibbing to restsrt but after 5 tries it started and has been ok sinc. 1 week after i went home I COUGHED and broke (not the wires) but the ends of the ribs and sternum. they had to go back in and rewire.
8 days later Infection set INTO the sternum . They went back in and REMOVED IT. MY question is. HOW LONG will the pain last ????
it has been 10 months and i still on 50 mg of FENTENYL among other meds and it sometimes is excruciating.
what should I do ?????       HELP PLEASE
I had 3 by pass done on 1-13-04 I have hurting in the sternum all the time. never stops. feels the best after reasting all night. when I was on my way back to ICU after heart surgery, my heart stoped. so I had to have cpr on my new chest. I think some thing got out of place.  went and had the wires out, thinking that they were polking me. well that did not work either. it feels like some think is rubbing together. hurts like {hell} have tried lots of things. ACUA punture, pain shots, medication  no one can give me a real answer. to what is going on I am now 70 yr. old female.. I whould feel good If i did not have this. it keeps me from being active. just live with the pain.  it *****.and guess what they said, don't do the things that hurt  more when you are using that part of your body . DAAAA.
Lorraine