Heart Disease Community
sternum non union

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

sternum non union

I had quadruple bypass in June 2006. sternum did not heal so i was sent to a plastic surgeon. he operated february 2007 and put four titanium plates in. sternum is still not healed. will it ever heal?

This discussion is related to Sternum pain after By-pass Surgery.
I am Dr. Arch Miller and am on the reconstructive surgery forum. It may be that you have some osteoporosis, or the screws have failed. This is a problem with that method. There is another device called the talon which hugs the sternum and encourages healing along its entire length. Go to the web site rapidsternalclosure.com and you can see an animation of the device. We have been very successful in reconstructing problems such as yours. Unless the plates are removed, the bone edges cleaned and opened again the sternum will not heal. Dr. Scott Levin of Duke University, Dr. James Spann of Tulsa, Oklahoma and myself are familiar with this  and can help you or get you a referral to someone who can. I hope this helps you, respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs
I had double by-pass heart surgery in 2004 , and noticed right away that something was not right. I was diagnosed 6 months later with a non-union sternum and nerve damage (due to the removal of an artery) going into my right arm.  I have not been able to work since the surgery. I have tried everything to fight having it repaired out of fear. I am 51 years old and can virtually do NOTHING. my right arm and chest rule my soul with constant pain. my chest grinds and pops almost constantly now which in turn makes breathing very uncomfortable. My entire arm throbs like a constant toothache to the very tips of my fingers. My doctor has me on prozac , hydrocodone -4 x's a day & advil , I seem to have a problem with nsaids.  I just moved to my area 5 months ago and am in desperate need of all new doctors. I do have BC/BS.  I am in great fear of pushing my self much further . Things seems to have changed for the worse in the past year and I cannot get through the day without packing ice on my chest.  I am having a horrible time sleeping ,My right arm is all but useless, I desperately need help . I am located in Chester NY . please don't suggest Westchester Medical Center , for that is where I had my surgery in the first place.  I need a cardiologist , pain management team , and a really good doctor ! .... ***@****.......   I have great doctors in NC , and they will back me 100 % , but , they are quite far away now , and I must be here for my elderly mother.

P.S...... Thank u sooo much for your  time.                                                   s.l. hunt