Heart Disease Community
stress test question...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

stress test question...

i had a reg stress test this am and i was able to get to level 3-3 raises of the incline and speed- and finally reached my target of 185 bpm,, but about 3 mins before that was reached i wanted to stop!!! was feeling short of breath mostly slight lung burning feeling and a tad light headed is that normal???my heart rate seemed to come down to normal in about 7 or 8 minutes and they let me go-- if they saw something dangerous would they have told me??also had a signal av test  but nothing was said....
Call and ask when the tests will be ready for you to pick up a copy for your records, that way you'll have them and can read what the results are and if there was anything on them.  My dr told me during the test there was something up with it - then sent me right then to do an Echo, but your dr may be different.
Generally, a stress test will be stopped at patient's request, or if there is an abnormality of the patient's physiology shown on a monitor.  I find it odd there was no concern for your wish to stop the test. The protocol is exercise until you reach a target heart rate, or until you:
Feel moderate to severe chest pain
Get too out of breath to continue
Develop abnormally high or low blood pressure or an arrhythmia (an abnormal heartbeat)
Become dizzy
The technician will continue to check your heart functions and blood pressure after the test until they return to your normal levels.....I know of no exceptions to be worthy of appropriate deviations.

I don't believe they found anything dangerous, if so a doctor on call or present would attend to your immediate medical need and, or instructions to follow going forward.  

It would not be proper for someone conducting a test to provide any medical conclusions without evaluating your present health in the context of your medical history, medication, clinical symptoms and signs, other tests, etc.  Your health provider should  provide or you should ask for a copy of the test results for your records. Time may vary depending on how busy is the staff.

Thanks for your question, and apparently there is no cause for any immediate alarm or you would have been told.
thank you for your info and support helps me to relax!!!
Your welcome.  Take care.
I don't think they would have found anything bad if you hit your target rate, especially as they encouraged you to continue. I sometimes wonder if their monitors see everything though. I kept telling them that I had chest discomfort but they kept saying "nothing showing here, keep going a little longer". In the end I just said "stop the machine or I'm gonna jump off, I can't take any more discomfort".
I reached about 70% of my target rate.
" In the end I just said "stop the machine or I'm gonna jump off, I can't take any more discomfort". Exactly the same words stated by an OP a few weeks ago, and my response is has not changed. So it does happen with people careless of patient's welfare it seems.

The monitoring of signs EXCLUSIVE of symptoms during the testing procedure is not appropriate protocol, and the testing facility can/will be liable for any damage even if it is just damage to leg joints, etc. and not life threatening....that is common sense!  Also, monitoring is not an exact science and testing equipment is not  infalliable.

Usually, the test is stopped when heart rate reaches target rate, but stress test procedures are also done to determine exercise tolerance and is measured by METs (bruce protocol).  METs can be crossed reference to other activities to conclude the appropriate exercise level.  For instance 5 METs on a treadmill can be related to a safe and theraputic speed of bicycle, or a rowing upper body exercise, fast walking, etc.  To do only 3 METs on a treadmill is a good indication the patient cannot withstand the stress of a surgical operation. Also .good information for physiological rehabilation for heart patients as well as respiratory patients, etc. The MET numerical values are for an example only.
I agree because I felt really ill. I was only wired up to an ekg and blood pressure which took the pressure every 2 mins. I had nothing measuring my respiration at all. I was panting for air, it was clearly obvious to anyone that I was not comfortable. It proved to me that ischaemic problems are not always reflected in an ekg.
i was not hooked up to check breathing either-- also what is a met???
It is the ratio of the metabolic rate of a person while seated and resting, to the metabolic rate of a person performing some task. MET means metabolic equivalents of task.

1 MET is equivalent to a metabolic rate consuming 3.5 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute.
1 MET is equivalent to a metabolic rate consuming 1 kilocalorie per kilogram of body weight per hour.

I always thought you had to have your respiration gases measured for this? but I have never seen this with an exercise tolerance test to evaluate the function of the heart. All I have ever seen are patients hooked up to an ekg, have a blood pressure cuff fitted, and then the treadmill turned on which gradually increases through stages of both speed and elevation.
For perspective, the stress test measures cardiovascular endurance.  Endurance testing is a way to measure the efficiency of ones circulatory system and respiratory system in supplying oxygen to the working muscles and support sustained physical activity. Endurance is the measure and no hookups required other than EKG leads...a cuff monitors bp.

My 3 times a week aerobic on the treadmill is about 6 METs for a half an hour, and that is equivalent  3.8 miles per hour (fast walk).  My stress test 5 1/2 years ago was stopped at 7.2 METs (no nitrate) and that was after little more than 6 minutes and an incline with fast walk.  A fit cardiovascular system would be able to continue running until the end (15 minutes) and that woud be more than adequate endurance. On the opposite end,  walking up to flights of stairs (about 2 METs) can cause shortness of breath.

Thanks for your question