Heart Disease Expert Forum
subpulmonic stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

subpulmonic stenosis

I was wondering what the term subpulmonic stenosis meant.  I have a one year old.  I know she has tricuspid atresia, but then later found out on a form she had that subpumonic stenosis, a vsd and a asd along with the atresia.  I understand what the tricuspid atresia is and vsd was the ventricle problem but I am not sure what the subpulmonic stenosis or asd meant.  I probably was told but so much had gone on that I can't seem to recall what those terms meant.  Could you define those for me?  

Dear Janette

Subppulmonic stenosis means that there is a blockage of the outflow of blood through the pulmonic valve that occurs below the level of the valve.

the valve is usually fine but there is a band or muscle tissue that prevents blood from crossing the valve normally.

An ASD is an atrial septal defect or a hole in the wall between the two atria or top chambers of the heart.

It sounds like your daughter has a very complex heart and i would recommend a pediatric cardiologist to assist you with her subsequent care.

I hope this is helpful.