Heart Disease Community
sudden death after bypass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

sudden death after bypass

my grandmother had a triple bypass on 2/12/08. she was 84. surgery went well...a little more disease once she was "opened up" but surgery went well.she spent 6 days in icu and then was moved to  a stepdown bed. after being in new room she ate a few spoons of ice cream and was given a sip of water after which she had to cough. pressure was held on incision site during cough but a few moments later a chest tube site started to bleed. the chest tube had been removed a couple of days earlier i think. she think went very pale and unresponsive. the bleeding was stopped with pressure but she did not make it through the cpr. what could have happened? was it the act of coughing or holding too much pressure on chest when she coughed? i'm feeling very guilty and stupid.
Tags: bleedeing
After such a serious surgery at 84 years old, it could have been anything.  Maybe it was just time for her to go..

Don't feel guilty or stupid over it.

As we say, "S- -T happens".
what a callous answer! "S--T happens". i certainly hope you never recieve an answer like this to a real concern you may have.
I agree with you.  That was a VERY callous answer.  Maybe Jim did not mean it as it sounds.  I hope not,  Nevertheless it was uncalled for.

I do agree that you should not feel guilty or stupid.  Probably no one will really know what caused your grandmother's death.  By the time one reaches the age of 84, there could have been other things wrong with your grandmother that complicated her survival.  You may want to call and check with her doctor on that.  I just don't have a good answer.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
It becomes very risky for major surgery after the age of 80.  Unless it is absolutely necessary (life or death circumstances) surgeons may  refuse to operate. The rationale is that it is not unusual to have a prolonged and painful recovery, and the life span is not increased as scientific studies have shown when compared to medication therapy.  I assume the condition going into ICU was a painful heart attack and immediate surgery was the only option.

Yes, indeed.  Coughing, bleeding and/will stress the system and the heart.  Sorry to hear of your unfortunate esperience.