Heart Disease Expert Forum
sudden pounding pulse on the left side of the head?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I was laying down on my left side and suddenly my pulse that is above my ear started beating and pounding for few seconds then went back to normal. Does anybody know what is this? Last week i had a dull pain on my head and a discomfort neck but i switched pillows and my neck feels fine now. i'm 17 years old. My grandfather has high blood pressure as well. I'm a weight lifter, i lift heavy weights and i also heard it has to do with blood pressure as well. Can anybody please help?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Developing new symptoms can be very stressful. You're doing the right thing by exploring possible causes.  The best thing to do is to see your doctor.

The episode you're describing could have been from several different things, not necessarily just the heart.  Important things to think about are: Has this ever happened to you before?  How often? Can you bring it on? Is there anything you did that made it go away? Did you have any after effects? Do you get headaches often? Are you using any supplements?

From a general and broad perspective, your symptoms could have been from simple things like a muscle spasm to heart rhythm things like atrial or ventricular arrhythmias.  Other possibilities include problems with the vessels in your neck (especially since you are a weight lifter),

I would recommend that you keep a journal of when this happens. I would also recommend being evaluated by your doctor. After a careful physical examination and reviewing with you whether you ever get any palpitations or sensations of skipped beats, your doctor may want to check your heart's rhythm over time to see if you go in-and-out of an irregular or a fast rhythm.