Heart Disease Expert Forum
super high HDL
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

super high HDL

Dear Dr:

I'm 52 yr. old female.  I'm at least 3 years into menopause and do not take hormones and am not overwieght.  I just got the results from my Berkeley Heart Test back.  The results are as follows:

Total Cholesterol:  300
LDL:  110 (mostly large buoyant particles but some small dense)
HDL:  182  (large particle)
Triglycerides:  40

The test also yields some specialized genetic information that I'm not real clear on but is as follows:
ApoE genotype 3/4
KIF6 genotype   719 Trp/Arg heterozygous

I also had a calcium score that was 0.

Anyway, my Dr. said he wasn't sure what to do, if anything, but was uncomfortable not treating a total cholesterol of 300.  His recommendation is for me to take a low dose of Lipitor.   I've always had high HDL, about 130, but it really shot up when I started taking fish oil, which I take for its general health benefits.   I've always heard that you want your HDL as high as you can get it.  Is that really true?   Should I stop taking fish oil?  By the way, I don't think I'm going to take Lipitor.  
take Lipitor.