Heart Disease Expert Forum
surges in hands with palps

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

surges in hands with palps

Could you please tell me if it is normal to get pins and needles (just for a split second) in your hands when you get a heart palpitation.  

A lot of times I get a sort of bump, bump, bump or a sort of rolling feeling in my heart and then my hands go tingley and I get a rush up to my head and I get hot.  It is really hard to explain the feeling, but it happens when I feel the really hard palps, maybe a couple of times per week.  

It is like the feeling you get when a car slams its breaks on in front of you and you just about hit it (I get the quick surge down in my hands when that happens too).  

Anyways I really don't like the feeling.  Please note I have a completely normal heart, I just suffer from palpitations.  

Also, could you please answer one more question for me.  I know that most of the population suffers from PVC's - do most people get them and just ignore them, or do most people just get such tiny ones that they would not even feel them.  I get such STRONG ones that I could never ignore them, but I have read on this board that some people say everyone in their families has them and have just never brought them up until someone has asked them about it.  Why would some people get such strong palps and others just the tiny blips?  

Thanks for you time.
I think the feelings you are describing are normal and I suspect many people can confirm having these same sensations.  I don't know why PVCs bother some people more than others.  Some individuals are more 'tuned in' to their heart beats and the extra beats really bother them.  Others may notice them but don't really concentrate on them.
Dear Melanie,

Those sensations you describe are very common in those of us that notice PVC's.  It feels like the delay causes a very forceful beat that sends a "rush" down your arms and legs.  It can even feel warm.  There are meds you can take to lesson PVC's but there effectiveness is limited and the side effects may be worse than the PVC's.  Unless yours are very frequent, like many hundereds or thousands per day, I would try to ignore them the best you can.  If you due a PVC search on this web site you will find many many people that share their concerns over these things.  If your heart is healthy, just try to keep it that way with lots of exercise.  After running 5 to 10 miles a day for the last 8 months, I feel great.  Even with the PVC's.  Good luck

Dave
I get the same rush feeling. I have the heavy palp then feel like my temperature is surging up. It's very interesting to read the many posts concerning PVCs on this board. I have only known one other person personally that suffers with them like me but I know there are others out there. My doctor has told me many times not to worry about them. I believe it's easy for him to say this since he does not suffer with them. I have to believe that I am not the only one who hopes that some day, maybe a pill or a procedure will come about to stop them. I know it's not a priority thing because it is a "benign" condition. It makes you wish that those in charge of research suffered through heavy duty PVCs - then maybe they would try to find a way to help us. I take Atenolol and Paxil. Both help a great deal. The Paxil put the wallup in the anxiety that follows big "skips" or the strings of skips. I don't smoke, have a very rare beer, have quite a bit of stress and am fairly sedentary. When I do become active, the number of skips picks up and often turns in to strings. Yes, I've had ever test known to man and some of them several times. I've been poked, prodded, probed, tread milled, echoed, you-name-it. I would pay a hundred thousand dollars to the first heart doctor that could cure me of these and I'll bet there are no takers! I'm all ears to those of you who suffer if you want to write me. I've only had these for the last 27 years so I think I know a little about them. Later, ***@****
Palps-PVC's..........I've had them for 40 years to the point where I can't sleep because it feels like my heart is running like an old jalopy.  My hands will go numb and my heart jumps around like a fish on a dock, but not to worry it keeps on running.

I'm 45 years old and had bypass surgery 2 years ago and still have PVC's. As long as you have had it checked out and have got a clean bill of health I wouldn't give them a second thought.

Take care.