Heart Disease Expert Forum
swelling in the legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

swelling in the legs

My father had swelling in his lower legs, it wasn't really in his feet or ankles but bellow his knees and above his ankles.  His doctor kept giving him different medicine.  He was taking Procardia, Lipitor, and ace inhibitor.  I had him go to a different doctor who said it was from the Procardia.  He was on this for 12 years, but his other doctor raised his dosage.  The new doctor changed took him off the Procardia and puthim on a new Calcium Channel Blocker.  The swelling has gone away.  Is there anything else to worry about?  He is doing okay and is in his 70's and the only heart tests he has had were Stress Tests and EKG's yearly with no changes.  I was concerned that the swelling he had for about 6 months damaged his heart.  Any advice would be appreciated.

The swelling in his legs was likely a side effect from the raised dose of Procardia - this swelling would not have damaged his heart in any way.