Heart Disease Expert Forum
tingling, burning pain in entire left side

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I am a 30 yr. old male, 6 ft. 160 pds.  An all around healthy person but about 2 months ago I started having numbness, tingling in my right side of my face, after a few days it went to my arm then to  the entire right side.  Also when this started  started to lose sexual interest and have trouble obtaining and maintaining an erection.  The pains never bother me while sleeping, it starts after I get up and move around.  I started worrying I was having stroke symptoms so my doctor had me get a CT of the head and neck and it was negative.  The symptons did not leave so he then ordered an MRI of the same area several weeks later and a testosterone test, still everything came back negative.  A few more weeks passed and the symptons left and everthing felt fine.  Well now the symptons are back again but this time its on my left side and its a little different.  This time it all started with sharp stabbing pains in various spots of  my head and jaws, they came on suddenly and would overwhelm me.  This subsided then days later the numbness started in my left arm and shoulder, then it went to my chest and leg.  It comes and goes all day long and its been about a week now, the numbness has now become more of a burning needles sensation and I have sharp pains  in my groin, back of my leg and from my armpit to my forearm.  The burning sensation stays in my shoulder and arm about all day but travels around the rest of my body, now the burning is starting to arise on the right side again too sparaticaly.  I cannot pinpoint what causes it, nothing seems to make it go away other than sleep.  I am now scared its my heart, but it does not seem to get worse when I exert myself jogging or such.  Finally as a last ditch effort I decided to go see a chiropractor thinking maybe I have a pinched nerve in the neck.  He took x rays and said he sees a vertebrate high up next to my head that is off a bit and wants to start therapy..  Does this sound like it could be it??  My neck does not hurt and I dont know how much faith I have in a chiropractor.
Im getting worried, is this a sign of heart trouble, or stroke symptons, or possibly a traveling blod clot??
Any advice would be appreciated, seems like I am at a point now that its always on my mind because its always present.  I just wish I knew what it was so I could stop worrying.
Bret

There are many causes of chest pain.  The one that doctors worry about the most is cardiac because it has the potential to be life-threatening.  Once this is ruled out the work-up can proceed at a more leisurely pace.

Amongst the cardiac causes of chest pain are: ischemia (due to blockages - including both stable and unstable angina and acute heart attack and coronary artery spasm), pericarditis (inflammation of the sack around the heart), myocarditis (inflammation of the heart), cardiomyopathy (heart failure) and rarer causes such as coronary artery dissection, acute rupture of the heart and valves and infections of the pericardium.

Gastrointestinal causes of chest pain include reflux (acid from the stomach washing back into the esophagus), gallstones, esophageal spasm, esophageal rupture, varicose veins of the esophagus, strictures of the esophagus, tumors of the esophagus and other less common GI problems.

Pulmonary (lung) causes include pneumonia, pulmonary embolus, pneumothorax, pleuritis and bleb rupture.

Other potential causes are aortic dissection, back and spine problems and musculoskeletal (muscle strain, rib fracture, etc.).

Psychological causes of chest pain are common and include panic attacks, anxiety, stress and mental duress.

As you can see the list of potential causes in long and may take a little bit of time to determine the precise cause.  A good Internal Medicine doctor should be able to work through the potential causes of your symptoms.
Thought I should also tell you that I had an EKG done two months ago too and it was good.
Bret
Can you please read my backround a little better, my major symptons are not chest pain.  Please try to read it closer and give me some kind of a more specific answer to the actual symptons.
Generally pain on the left side of the body can be classified as "chest pain" for diagnostic purposes.