Heart Disease Expert Forum
tmr

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

tmr

I am hoping you can answer 2 question for me please.
1. With tmr promoting growth of new vessels, where would these get their source of blood from? is it the native coronary arteries and if so, does this mean they would have to be quite clear with not much disease for tmr to work?

2. Why is radial entry for Angioplasty not allowed when a previous bypass has been performed? I vaguely remember a cardiologist saying something about the mapping of the arteries being different. However this doesn't make sense when you go through the aorta for either radial or femoral entry. Is there a reason for none radial access with CABG patients?

Thank you so much for your time.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi ed34,

1) Re: TMR

Blood flow may be improved in two ways after TMR:

(i) The channels act as bloodlines. When the ventricle pumps or squeezes oxygen-rich blood out of the heart, it sends blood through the channels, restoring blood flow to the heart muscle.
(ii) The procedure may promote angiogenesis, or growth of new capillaries (small blood vessels) that help supply blood to the heart muscle.

2) Radial entry for angioplasty

Manipulation of the catheter may be easier using the femoral approach. There is also a risk, using the radial approach, that the catheter may enter the bypass grafts unintentionally and cause injury to the graft. Although the radial artery is now being used infrequently as a bypass vessel, some centers still prefer to protect the radial graft from injury in the event that it is required as a future bypass vessel. There may be other reasons more particular to your case so I would also discuss this with your cardiologist at your next appointment.

I hope that information is helpful.

See also http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/cad/tmr.aspx