Heart Disease Expert Forum
toprol xl

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

toprol xl

Posted by John Holt on June 23, 1999 at 11:42:37
I'm a 44 year old male, in good health, non-smoker, reasonable weight, but I was just prescribed Toprol XL ( 50mg, twice per day ) after an electrophysiology study to investigate my recent arrhythmia. I have several concerns; will I have to take this medicine the rest of my life? Will it lose effectiveness over time, forcing me to move on to stronger or different drugs? One of the side effects listed is sexual dysfunction...Just what are the odds of my having such trouble and how soon after I begin taking the medicine will I know the verdict? I appreciate any help you can give me. thank you very much. John

Posted by mario on June 23, 1999 at 13:30:20
hi john, first the drug you are reffering to is what is known as a beta-blocker. these family of drugs are used for many reasons....angina, high blood pressure irregular heartbeats and reduce the hearts need for blood and oxygen. this drug also reduces the bloodflow to the toes and fingers...what we call extrmeties. for a drug to be able to do all this it is likely that the sexual function may be affected.without being graffic sexual function does require the use of an extremet...remember do not stop taking this drug without advising your dr. the sexual dysfunction can be worked out by maybe reducing the dose, your dr can work this out. one more thing i'd like to mention is that when you first get on this drug do not jump from a lying position to an upright position in one movement because you could find your self hit with lightheadedness and dizzyness. instead take it easy and from a lying position sit up first for a minute and then stand. let your body get used to the new drug.if you need any other info you could e-mail me....mario

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD JMF on June 24, 1999 at 06:54:47
Dear Mario,
Thank you for your comments.