Heart Disease Expert Forum
triscupid valve moderate to severe leak please respond

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

How would a moderate to sever leak in the triscupid valve increase the pulmonary pressure.  I have pressure on an echo of 44.
rudy,

thanks for the post.

Significant TR is more commonly functional than due to organic tricuspid valve disease. The most frequently associated diseases included pulmonary hypertension and cardiomyopathy changing the geometry of the left ventricle. Usually, if isolated and due to a problem with only the valve, it will not increase pulmonary pressures too much. Thus, it is very important ot figure out the underlying cause of your regurgitation.

good luck
Calculating pulmonary pressures and calculating the severity of tricuspid regurgitation (TR) have almost nothing in common.  In other words, you can have minimal TR, yet have high pulmonary pressures.  You can also have moderate TR, yet have near normal pulmonary pressures.

Good night and good luck.
Thanks for getting back to me.  My pulmonary pressure was 30 and is now 44  in a year and half time.  I am very anxious.  I have been referred to a pulmonary who is doing a right heart catherization.  

Any input is appreciated.