Heart Disease Community
troponin and stents

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

troponin and stents

I had a heart attack September 2008. I had a check up a few days ago. My troponin test results showed a slight elevation level of 0.12-- my cardiologist suggested an angiogram. Is this too soon? Is it necessary?
No. It is worth following the advice of your cardiologist to make sure no clots or further blockages have formed. It is also a good chance to ensure the condition of your stent, making sure no restenosis has occurred. If you are not happy about an angiogram, then you could request a CT. If you have  a CT then obviously any possible surgery will have to wait whereas during an angiogram they can pop a Stent in if required.
With just the information you provide, I would not go with an angiogram.  If you are having chest pains (angina), does a nitrate relieve the pain? If your chest pain (angina) is not relieved with medication, then an angio.   Did you have symptoms that would lead a doctor to believe you may have had a heart attack?

Troponin is the  appropriate  test if a heart attack is suspected?. When a patient has a heart attack, levels of troponins can become elevated in the blood within 3 or 4 hours after injury and may remain elevated for 10 to 14 days.

New Troponin-I Range  0.00-0.14 (normal)  0.15-0.49 (intermediate)  >0.50 (positive).
Your 0.12 is within the normal range!

Too soon?  With my last heart attack in 2006 as soon as the blood work showed that the chest pains was a heart attack, I was sent immediately to the cath lab.  Seems to be the way many hospitals react now.  Treat you as soon as the heart attack is detected.  Ally
I have to seriously ask if a raise of normal levels from 0.04 to 0.14 is wise. My troponin was 0.12 and I was rolling around in agony and a blocked circumflex. I have a sneaky feeling it's to help alleviate the queues for further tests.
I'm 37 now but on my 32 y/o i had troponin level of 2.24 which i suffer of severe chest pain and weakness on my right arm for a while but after 5 hours it back all to normal and thats where they found out my trop was raise. But when I have my angiogram its comeback all normal, so do I be diagnose as MI or Ischemic heart disease patient?