Heart Disease Expert Forum
twisted aortic valve

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

twisted aortic valve
My sister who is 51 was diagnosed yesterday with a twisted aortic valve.  She will have to go thru a battery of tests.  Can anyone explain exactly what this condition means?  Because of this she has an enlarged heart.
I am guessing this is possibly a congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries. If this is the case, people with this disorder do not generally have problems with their aortic valve which is connected to the low pressure pulmonary circulation, but they sometimes experience right ventricular dysfunction and with symptoms systemic ventricular failure.
Sorry to read of your sister's valve problem.  I am not directly familiar with with that valve but guess it is on the left side of the heat.  To my reason to answer you post, I had a leaky mitral heart valve and it was repaired last November, with open heart surgery.  In the case of a leaky mitral valve the high pressure generated by the ventricle chamber passes back through the valve into the atrial chamber, right side in this case.  This pressure is beyond the muscle strength of the atrial and the pressure can cause that chamber to enlarge/stretch, causing many problems, among the Atrial Fibrillation and worse, it can lead to congestive heart failure.  This may also apply to the left side of the heart, your sister's case.  
Could someone explain this situation in laymens' terms?  What exactly will have to happen for this to be corrected.  I cannot find any information on this particular condition (twisted aortic valve in the stomach).

Thank you for your help.