Heart Disease Expert Forum
v-fib and cardiac arrest due to heart attack

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Five months ago I had a cardiac arrest due to a v-fib that was complication of a heart attack 100% blocked artery. They saved my life, and put in a stent. The doctor on call  next day just hospital just smiled and said you're fine, other arteries are normal eat less fat and salt, and walk, and didnt tell me much else.
Now I suffer depression and anxiety constantly, worrying that I'll have another cardiac arrest, some nights I cant even sleep. I'm wondering if I have a high risk of this happening again by sheer virtue that its happened already. Im angry that no one explained anything to me, Ive been to the cardiologist twice since, first time I got to see him 15 min, second time he wasnt even there, only a nurse practioner. I dont have insurance, though medically needy picked up the hospital tab thank goodness, but I'm wondering if I should have had a defibrillator inserted, but I didnt because of no insurance. My question is does having a cardiac arrest once put me at high risk for another,  just suddenly going into v-fib, or is it only if I have another blocked artery and heart attack? my ejection fraction is 56 which I think from what Ive looked up is really good, which on one hand makes me think the heart attack was " small" or not much damage, but on other hand if there wasnt much damage why did I go into arrest. Thanks
Yes having a cardiac arrest places you at greater risk for having another, because you are at higher risk for having another heart attack, primarily. Present evidence suggests that you do not need a defibrillator because of your almost normal heart function, and this means that yo are not at the highest risk for having a repeat event. But your risk is significantly higher than someone who never had an event at all.
You need more than diet and exercise, you need to take your medications ( aspirin, beta blockers and a stain along with plavix).
You had the arrest not because of the damage that was present but because of the damage that was occurring to your heart at the time. You are very lucky to have survived and done so well: this kind of an event kills approximately 350000 people in the US alone every year, and out of 100 people that have your kind of arrest only 2 live to walk out of the hospital and talk about it. So follow your cardiologist's instructions.