Heart Disease Expert Forum
variations in echo report
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

variations in echo report

I've recently moved and my GP in my current location ordered a "baseline" echo because I have a Bicuspid aorta and had been complaining of dull back pain for a few weeks.
The results were a bit unnerving. Supposedly, my aortic root measured at 3.8. This was an increase from the 3.2 measurement from the previous November (8 mos prior). Needless to say, this freaked me out. I contacted my cardiologist where I used to live and told him of the measurements. He was skeptical and asked if I could come back to see him and re-take the echo (he had given me my previous 4 echos). I went back to visit him and when they did the echo, they got a much smaller measurement. He said the aortic root measured 2.7. The technician also tried to measure the aorta from different locations just to be sure and got measurements of 3.3 and 3.5 (though I'm not sure what part of the aorta he was measuring).
So my cardiologist thinks things are fine. My GP doc can't explain the difference and wants to do another echo in 6mos.
In the meantime, I still have the occasional dull mid-back pain next to my spine (it may very well be muscle related - as I work out every day and also slouch over a computer every day). I asked both of my doctors if this could be  a symptom of an aortic aneurysm. They've both said that's probably not the case.

So my question is, how could there be such variation in echo reports? Should I request a CT scan to get a completely accurate measurement? Would any aortic aneurysm most likely be discovered during an echo or even a chest xray?
I worry about these things due to BAV, but thus far my echos have been pretty good. Only trace regurgitation at the valve... everything else normal. I'm 34, athletic and my bp is under control with meds (125/70 last reading).
Thanks for your expertise.