Heart Disease Community
vascular ring (right sided aortic arch)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

vascular ring (right sided aortic arch)

Well I am an adult of 38 years old and at 30 years old was diagnosised with a vascular ring and an anerism on my aorta and also a left subclavian bypass.  Since the first operation I have had several operations on my left subclavian as to be called left subclavian steal syndrome.  The last surgery was in 05 and was a total of 7 surgerys and consisted of a pericardial effusion with blood around my heart sack.  My question from this point is that I recently found out that the vascular ring is still there and was said to be fixed?  I have had a difficult time swallowing since about 22 that I can remember and even after surgery's I had felt no relief.  I suffer very seriously with this everyday to the point of not knowing if this will be my last swallow and have lots of cramping in my arms?  I have recently been refered to doctors to address the situation but I really dont feel well at all and was wondering if just going to the emergency is not a bad idea?  I am feeling many many symptoms tingly arms and legs shortness of breath, something stuck in my throat?  I am scheduled for a barrium swallow tomorrow that I had to call them about getting sooner.  Why do I feel like they are just dragging.  I feel I need help now!!!!!!!  I have expressed this to the doctor.  I also have a mass on my spleen saw on the cat scan that confirmed the vascular ring and also noted was vasculitis should be considered?  I know it is very rare for an adult to have rightsided vascular ring. anything will help me in understanding how to overcome this or is this something I will suffer from the rest of my life?  Would you have any suggestions for me?  I would like to say thank you so so much in advance for your help.  
Without evaluating you, I would believe that you most likely had a right aortic arch with an aberrant left subclavian artery, in which the artery that feeds the left arm came off in such a way that these two vessels, plus a couple others, compressed your esophagus.  Repair of this is actually fairly simple, but it is important that you have it done by a specialist in adult congenital heart disease (ACHD), as many regular adult cardiac surgeons are not familiar with these defects, their repairs, or their complications.  My recommendation is that you be seen at an ACHD center.  You can find these through the Adult Congenital Heart Association (www.achaheart.org); you may have to travel to find one close to you, but you will have a center that is familiar with your cardiac issues and can deal with them more completely.