Heart Disease Expert Forum
vegetation, MVP and repair
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

vegetation, MVP and repair

I am an active 71 year old male. I have vegetation attached to one or both leaflets as a result of recent endocarditis. I also have MVP, although the valve function has not deteriorated as a result of the endocarditis. My cardiologist is concerned that the vegetation can break loose and cause a stroke.

Can a valve with vegetation be repaired or must it be replaced? If there is a choice, are there advantages to one over the other? Who would you recommend in the New York City area if a repair is contemplated?