Heart Disease Expert Forum
vena cava aneurysm: update and image

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

vena cava aneurysm: update and image
Posted By  CCF Cardio MD-SGM on March 24, 1998 at 19:41:24:

In Reply to: vena cava aneurysm: update and image posted by mariette on March 21, 1998 at 15:15:15:

: Dear Sir!
  Thanks very much for your information regarding the recurrent DVT and PEs. Because the issue of the vena cava diameter increase I attach the image of the x-ray (phlebogram). I hope you can help me with this matter. Could this be an explanation of the recurrent DVTs and PEs? Mind you: despite the coumadin and INR within range it keeps happening... I would love to come over to your clinic to be evaluated again, but there are a few thousand miles between us...
  Thanks very much for your time and reply again!
  The image could be found at http://www.marge.com/x-ray/x-ray.htm

Dear Mariette,
The Xray does appear to show an area of dilation, or aneurysm, involving the inferior vena cava (IVC).   There are many possible explanations for this, although I believe that knowing the specific cause won't change the management.    If you've suffered recurrent PE's despite adequate anticoagulation with Warfarin (Coumadin), it is time to consider placing a filter in the IVC to prevent future PE's.  This needs to be discussed with a specialist.  
As you know, this forum is not intended to diagnose or manage the particulars of a specific patient's course.  Instead, we try to give general recommendations that offer some educational value to readers who may consult this page.  Regrettably, I believe that our ability to advise you on this issue has been exceeded.   As such , it would be wise to consult with experienced physicians, especially at a large hospital or academic medical center in your area.  
Best of luck.