Heart Disease Community
what cause high blood pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

what cause high blood pressure

my 21  year old daughter went to the doctor because she was having a bad headache doctor took her pressure and it was 150/92 never suffer from high blood pressure before what could have cause these she passt out for a few minutres
There are various causes of hypertension, and exclusion of the family history factor is unfortunately not enough to feel secure from it. These reasons include:
1- Obesity
2- Sedentary lifestyle.
3- Sodium salt sensitivity.
4- Vitamin D deficiency.
5- Cushing syndrome (over production of Cortisol by the adrenal glands).
6- Polcystic kidney disease.

I just mentioned the commonest and well known causes. As you can see, there are various conditions that lead to hypertension. You can start by excluding these ones (obesity and sedentary lifestyle). She will need to have some blood investigation (renal function test) a hormonal level and also an echo to ensure that the hypertension didn’t affect the cardiac muscles.

However, I would suggest that she repeats measuring her blood pressure twice or more. It would be better if she can get an ambulatory BP to measure her blood pressure for 24 hours.

I hope this was of some help. Keep us informed.
Hypertension is commonly classified into two major categories- essential hypertension and secondary hypertension. While the cause of secondary hp there are no known causes for essential hp.  Followup examinations to rule out secondary hp as a cause may be beneficial.  Also, your daughter has been subjected to stress. and sometimes the taking of the hp test in a doctor's visit can raise the blood pressure (can be a normal reaction for some individuals...sometimes called white-collar hp.

Or the condition can be benign essential hypertension which is mild to moderate hypertension, for which there is no discernible cause. It represents a state of consistent yet controlled high blood pressure, without any associated risks of renal or heart failure or organ damage. As this condition is not malevolent in terms of its consequences, it is often described as benign.

However,  uncontrolled and ignored benign hypertension can often deteriorate and develop into a dangerous condition.  Benign essential hypertension should be diagnosed early and treated immediately.
thanks for your information its i was very nervous when the nurse said her pressure was 156/90 that very high for a 21 year old, but when she went in to see thd doctor the doctor got a different reading 130/90 how could that be.
If having blood pressure checked regularly by a doctor, the doctor will likely try to schedule the appointments at different times. This is done purposely, so that blood pressure readings from different situations can be obtained. These multiple readings are averaged together into one composite result, which is used to give a diagnosis according to standard blood pressure guidelines. Measuring blood pressure at different times gives a more accurate picture of the average, overall situation. It accounts for differences in activity level, stress, and hormone changes.

When choosing a time to check the blood pressure, make sure that it’s a time that fits well into your daughter's tschedule. Because the actual time of day isn’t as important as making sure to take the readings at that time, your daughter should choose a time slot that is unlikely to be disrupted by work or other conflicts.  Also, I have had weeks of higher than normal readings and then it goes into below normal for a sustained period and continues to be well controlled (that is with medication)?!

I bought a blood pressure testing unit and take my blood pressure regularly, and there are wide variations during  different time of the day.   Also, if the readings at the doctor's office (some individuals test their home bp unit at the time of the visit to match hp) are higher, it could be due to "white coat" hypertention as there may be some apprehension and anxiety.
As a migraine sufferer myself, I can tell you I have often heard when I've gone in to get help for pain that it is normal for pain to raise your blood pressure.   I'd be more concerned about the fact she passed out than that BP level when she was in extreme pain.  Are they doing any further testing on her regarding the passing out?  For example, have they done a brain cat scan?
I, too, have had a migraine and when I went to the doctor, whatever he gave me made my blood pressure instantly go way up. It was almost worse than the migraine! I would agree that the pain of the migraine could be the cause for a spike in your daughter's blood pressure, but the passing out does merit concern. What was the doctor's opinion of this? As for measuring blood pressure, my mother is going through this and she is measuring hers at home as well as in the doctor's office. She does suffer from white coat syndrome, so her blood pressure reading is always higher in the office than at home. She brought in her monitor so that the doctor could check her blood pressure in the office with the monitor that she uses at home and it had the same reading he got with his, so her monitor was accurate. I've also set it up so that she can download all of her readings online into her HealthVault account so that I can check in on her, too, because I am worried about getting her blood pressure under control. She is waffling between taking the medicine (her doctor is recommending Avapor) or trying to manage it with diet and lifestyle changes. If your daughter is put on meds, be sure to really research them and ask a lot of questions. I hope for the best for the both of you!