Heart Disease Expert Forum
what does my echo results mean??

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

what does my echo results mean??

I had OHS for asd repair in may. I just got back my most recent echocardiogram back and id like to know if someone can help me understand what it means.
Here's the results: LV ejection fraction of 60-65% with akinesia of the basal and mid anteroseptum wall.
2. Mital valve shows mild to moderate increased thickness and aortic valve shows mild increased thickness.
3. There is small anterior pericardial effusion.
4. Inferior vena cava is mildly emlarged with reduced respiratory variation.
5. Trace pulmonary regurgitation. Trace tricuspid regurgitation with PA systolic pressure estimated to be 20-25mmHg.
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN???
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Here is the explanation of various aspects of your echocardiogram. Keep in mind that the findings are interpreted in light of clinical symptoms and it may be difficult to give you an accurate assessment of the situation.

1. Left ventricular ejection fraction refers to pumping function of the heart. Your ejection fraction is completely normal. There appears to be some areas of your heart which are not moving normally but overall the pumping function is good.
2. The valves on the left side of the heart may be slightly thickened, which is a non-specific finding.
3. Pericardial effusion is collection of fluid which is a common finding after open heart surgery or cardiac surgical procedures.
4. Inferior vena cava is the large blood vessel that carries blood to your heart. Again enlargement of this vessel is a non specific finding and requires corroboration with your clinical situation.
5. Pulmonary valve is a valve on the right side of the heart and there appears to be a mild leakage of this valve. This is of no clinical significance and is not likely to worsen or cause symptoms.
I would suggest a discussion with your cardiologist in order to put this into perspective.

Hope that helps
Thank you for the fast response. Yes that helps. I wondered how much of these finding were due to surgery and which(if any) were separate from that.