HEART DISEASE
FORUM
what is a normal ejection fraction/LVH
84483_tn?1289941537
by tickertock, Sep 16, 2005

Thanks for taking my question. I am a bit confused as to what most cardiologist consider a normal ejection fraction, I have seen conflicting numbers though the difference being very small.

I have seen 50-70% as normal , then 55-75% as normal. What numbers or % do CCF use? Would you consider an EF of 50% and over normal?

The reason I ask my last echo 2 months ago on the printout it showed an Ef of 53%, yet in the doctors office he said my EF was actually 55-60%, when I received a copy of the echo report it said 53%, I called and asked him about the difference in the printout and what he told me, he said my Ef was what he told me 55-60% and the number on the printout was of no significance, that I had no signs of cardiomyopathy. Even if my Ef 53% , would you still consider that normal? From what i gather most centers and cardiologist consider 50% and above normal, though I seen guidelines with the low being 55%, this is confusing,I just some clarification.

My EF 5 years was 65-70%, I understand it can vary, he told me that time I was more nervous and that my heart was a bit hyperkinetic then, Would you agree that increased anxiety with your heart punding harder , even if no that much faster can increase your EF?

I was told 5 years ago I had borderline hypertrophy at 12mm interventricular septum, now the printout shows 14mm, he told me my hypertrophy was mild, this was the only thing that was out of range on my echo, all other measurements was normal. I do push ups regularly to keep my back straight because of a CTD I have, Would this cause mild LVH? Thanx
Answer:
74076_tn?1189759432
by CCF-M.D.-MJM, Sep 16, 2005
Hi Tickertock,

Thanks for the post.  Don't get too hung up on a number -- they are just numbers.  I could look at an echo and call it 55% and the doctor next to me could say 50% or  60%.  When we quote ejection fraction we usually have the caveat +/- 5% after it.

We would call 50% low normal.  I would not worry about this.

Would you agree that increased anxiety with your heart punding harder , even if no that much faster can increase your EF?

yes, I would agree.

I do push ups regularly to keep my back straight because of a CTD I have, Would this cause mild LVH?

Push ups are not causing your LVH.  Although I am bigger advocate of aerobic exercise, a good mix of strength and aerobic training is a good thing.

I hope this helps.