Heart Disease Community
what should resting heart rate be?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

what should resting heart rate be?

Hello, I'm a 21 year old male who recently wore a holter monitor for 24 hours. My results came back and the slowest amount of beats in a minute were 46. I was wondering if this was too slow, or is it considered normal? Please respond! thank you
When was the 46 bpm?  It's not unusual for a person's heart rate to go that low during sleep--in fact, I had to wear a Holter once and mine got down to 45 or 46 for a short time during the night.  What's your usual resting heart rate?
I don't think it's unusual for a young healthy person's heart rate to go that low during sleep but it would be helpful to know what time of day the slow heart rate was captured.

I had a holter done when I was 30 and my slowest heart rate was 56.
Did your doctor go over the results with you? If your doctor and the tech were not concerned it's because it wasn't captured in context that would provoke concern. You're fine.
When I used to be a runner, my heart rate would get as low as 38 and I felt fine.  The key to whether a heart rate is too low is how well you feel.  If you are weak and dizzy, then there is a problem. Technically, any HR below 50 is considered bradycardia.

Nowadays, with my BP meds, rythmol, etc., my heart rate (when in normal sinus rhythm) is usually between 50 and 60.
The average rate is the one that you should be focusing on, not the low and high ends of the spectrum unless either of those were sustained and/or not in sinus rhythm.  A normal resting heart rate is 60-100 beats per minute.  Sleeping can bring it lower, stress can make it higher, and a number of other factors as well.  If your doctor has advised you of a normal Holter monitor, I wouldn't overthink it.
I'm pretty sure the 46 bpm was when I was sleeping, because I usually take my pulse cause of paranoia and It is never that low. My resting heart rate when I'm sitting upright in a chair is usually anywhere from 66-80. But the doctor called my house and went over the results with my mother and he never expressed concern, but I was wondering....thank you
You didn't say whether you do any kind of sports, anny jogging/running etc.  I read the other day that President Bush's resting heart rate is 44 bpm, he jogs every day and is 60 yrs old.

My resting heart rate is between 48-54 for the last 40 yrs, I exercise every day, and when you are in good shape your heart rate slows down.  I feel great  despite my slow heart rate.

A cardiologist told me one time only if you don't exercise, get real tired and dizzy with a slow heart rate, short of breath, then the slow heart rate needs to be checked out why and what causes it.

My heart rate on many days is 40 and 44 bpm and that is sitting at my desk, driving a car, I have not taken my resting lately but I am an athlete I am 43 yo female. On the days when my heart rate is this low I have a heavy feeling, dizzy, unfocused, and just want to sleep, and have to force myself to go exercise.  Otherwise, I feel healthy.  What does this mean, should I be concerned?  I have actually fallen asleep while sitting at a stop sign once and had a fender bender due to that. When I feel this way I have to keep talking to myself to keep my eyes open and stay focused.
i am 21 and i had holtor montor test done and my heart ranged from 43 to about 173. over all resting heart rate is about 100. Doc said that it is normal for heart to beat at about 43 when sleeping cause your relaxed. Pluse your young and if your active person ur heart is more likely to beat that slow when resting. you shouldnt worry about it.
I'm 21 and not over weight. Three weeks ago I suffered a sudden fast heart rate, after 20 mins I got rushed to hospital which by then my heart had slowed a fair bit, after an ECG my heart rate was 218bmp
After an injection to slow it 3 hours later I was sent home. I have now been diagnosed with cardiac arrhythmia, on tablets. Also being referred to a specialist clinic to have ablation? Has anyone else had this?