Heart Disease Community
who has problems on Toprol xl ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

who has problems on Toprol xl ?

My Question is :  who has problems with being on Toprol xl  (side effects )  so on..
or am I the only walking zombie on this stuff ?    please let me know im not alone !  

im weaning off it ,due to adverse side effects and a few unwilling Doctors who wont help me ! get off it . or even change it to another drug...  so to say im at the end of my rope here !!  

yes the sky is falling !  
I just started taking it yesterday and I feel awful.  I, too, feel like a zombie, feel empty-headed so to speak, weak, fatigued (but can't sleep).  My tongue also feels strange like it's hard to move it or something and I'm having trouble swallowing.
Since it's only been Day 2 for me, I am going to stick it out for at least a few more weeks to see if the symptoms subside.  I used to take Lisinopril and I remember how awful it was for the first few weeks until my body adjusted to it.  After that, I had no side effects except for the occasional bout of dizziness when my BP would drop too low.
i have been on it too for years now and i feel grate . some times i get dizz but overall i feel grate
Happy to hear you dont have problems (Your a lucky person) as 99% of people I talk to have alot of problems when on Toprol xl or its generic form.  ahh you have one bad effect I read , dizzyness ..
that adds a strike aginst Toprol xl  !!  
I just got off toprol xl after weaning down slow for the past 2months, I have to say I feel wonderfull !
have energy and the one bad side effect I had went away totaly now.. low blood sugar problems.
caused with long term useage 3 to 5 yrs .. I hit 5years on this junk !  
I taking a Natural medication used for stubborn high blood pressure and its working so far.. fingers crossed it stays working ! as b.p is down to normal levels and so is h.r.  im very happy for now.
but as they say " Knock on wood"  

again Happy you can take the med ok.. good luck to you.. and watchfull with long term useage.
for diabetes  or low blood sugar problems.  it happens to alot of people on beta blockers.

you can read online - bbc news past reports about beta blockers.
and limited use in u.k.   and no more long term use in u.k at all.  new rules passed.  
back about 6 or 7 months ago.  

I think the u.s.a. should follow footsteps of the u.k.  
at least for medications.

You don't mention what your dosage of Toprol was or is and what other meds you are or were on.  I take 100mg of Toprol along with 8 or 9 other meds everyday and feel good.  Yeah, I get dizzy but I got dizzy before ever starting the Toprol as I have lost 60% of my heart from MIs.  I also have a pretty low EF.  I remember when my Cardio doc started me on all the drugs.  He had me in his office and having blood tests every 2 weeks for 6 months in an effort to adjust dosages to get my heart rate and blood pressure where he wanted it.  At one point the Toprol was up to 200mg.  I have to admit I was really wiped out for awhile.  I got used to the tiredness, fatigue, sleeplessness and what have you.  Since all the drug titration have been completed and all the dosages are adjusted I feel good.
I have been on ToprolXL50 mg for several years. I was diagnosed with Valvular Heart Disease ((all 4 valves leak mild to moderate)) and brady-tacky syndrome. The biggest adverse effect that I see is that when it is really cold outside, I am cold to my bones. I have had no blood pressure problems before or since taking the med. The dizziness that I WAS feeling before taking this med is gone. I recently had a stress test and echo and nothing had changed since the last tests. As far as feeling tired, I couldn't walk any great distance without fatigue or shortness of breath. Now when I walk, I feel much better. Since taking the med I have been diagnosed with Fibromialgia (fibromyalgia). A co-worker of mind takes this med, and she says she aches all over. I cannot see how Toprol could influence the SED rate in ones system, which is what the diagnosis of Fibromialgia (fibromyalgia) was based on. Good luck.
i had my 1st heart attack in 6/2003 and was perscribed many differet drugs, but i was also a zombie and couldn't function i am lucky i have a great doctor at mayo he  found that 100 mg of toprol xl was to high for me and he reduced me to 50 mg and than 25 mg,i am doing great i am still on it today 4 1/2 years later don't give up it gets better.
I think most people with h.b.p or have any type of heart problems or attacks are mostly walking zombies on medications.  ( thats my thoughts)  I was put on 200mg toprol xl daily and 40mg diovan
for h.b.p. stubborn type that wouldnt drop easy.  boy it dropped with those meds ! so did I..  flat on my face out cold !!!  I was lowered to 150mg daily and 30mg diovan. I did fine on that doseage..
but had adverse side effects happen from both drugs.  the big problem came when medco switched my toprol xl to the new generic type. (behind my back)  as I never was informed about the change.
nor did the pharm dept at longs drugs, tell me !  I took the generic for about 5days.. and came down
with low blood sugar levels. and spells !! I was forced to buy toprol xl non generic at list price 168.00
as it wasnt covered !!  even though I went back to toprol xl non generic form.. the low blood sugar
didnt stop !  im not taking natural meds to handle that problem. as well cutt back on the toprol xl
to 100mg per day.. though now my b.p is up again  around  135/ 90  hr is good for some reason.

Happy to hear your doing well on your toprol xl .. I think the trick is lowering the doseage of toprol xl
to stop the effects or problems ..  its like you cant live with them.  and cant live without them.
stuck behind a 8 ball...  
cant win !!!!!!!!!  

also Mayo is top rated in the u.s.a.   I will check them out ..
also im checking into the Arziona heart inst.  in phoneix area..  anyone know how good they are ?

thanks and happy new year to everyone ! for 2008.
made a typo err... didnt stop ! im now >(not)< taking natural meds to handle that problem.
sorry its 4am  I couldnt sleep all night -another side effect from toprol xl .. beta blocker.. what fun !
I've been taking 100 mg toprol xl for about 4 years.  Just recently switched to the generic-taking 50 mg am and 50 pm.  Never noticed any side effects from the toprol, and haven't had any from the generic, either.  That 200 mg sounds like an awful high dose to start on.  In fact, I've had several people tell me that 100 mg a day is a lot.  Of course, I don't have any idea how they determine those dosages.

Have you tried splitting your 100 mg between am and pm?  Just curious about that.  They said I could do it that way and avoid having a period of extra high levels.  The generic I take is not the xl or long acting kind, so it pretty much needs to be taken as a split dose.
Yeah I did that back a few years ago.. it worked out ok,  but I couldnt sleep well at night due to side effect problem  No sleep!  from toprol xl  beta blocker ... I really get hit with side effects !  its my system cant take meds well.  allergic problems and fillers bother my system.  I turned out best to keep on full dose a.m with diovan at 40mg.  however like I said ,one doctor lowered the dose to 175mg then to 150mg.. so im cutting one pill up all the time. at 150 I had problems when waking up
with jumping feeling and b.p spikes too high.  so had to go back up to 175mg per day. with now 30mg diovan .. as it works the best there.    the big problem now is.. iv been on the toprol xl too long and my system built up aginst it /so to say !  and I have a known side effect of low blood sugar symptoms off and on.. like I wrote im dealing with that.. with natural meds. that work !

I confirmed this problem online and talking to a good RN. at ucla medical center.  as well I also
weaned off the toprol a few days ago.. stayed off 2 days , and took my 12th diffrent Natural b.p med
it worked good for 2days, however the 3rd day my b.p was super high ! and due to that, I had to go back onto the toprol xl and diovan  as before.. but did it med fast rate.. ramped up to 175mg toprol xl
and 30mg diovan.  I feel fine now..  but im fearing the low blood sugar symptoms again.. as I know
they return once back on the toprol xl.  as it was totaly gone off the toprol xl for 3days.
this is the 2nd time I did this.  
today new years day.. my b.p is down to  134- 84  p 73  so for me thats fine !  but so far I have to say  all the Natural meds for b.p are just Hype !  or dont work at all.   im off that kick for now..
as I spent too much money on meds that are natural.  that dont work !

my plans are to visit a new Doctor and see if he or she can switch me off the toprol xl and diovan
onto something with less effects , and takes a lower dose..  

the first doctor who gave me toprol xl  was old guy, pretty smart!  it was a hmo plan , so he more less pushed me in and out of the office.. fast paced - and just kept upping the doseage untill my b.p was down to what he wanted .  then kept me on the ****.  from that point every doctor in this hmo system kept me on that medication program . with only one lowering the doseage..
the last doctor I had , saw him 4 or 5 times , wanted to up the dose back to 200mg.  even though my b.p was down at the time to  126- 81  p 70 .. needless to say I quit him and walked out the door
wasnt much help.  

I think the best deal for me is to get off the junk and try something diffrent and start over.. new again
as most doctors dont like to keep a person on the same drug more than 2 or 3 years .. then switch it to another brand or type of medication.. so no long term side effects can happen.
but not at a hmo system.!!!  

thanks again for your post.. boogernose
I was prescribed Toprol XL a week ago. Pharmacist filled with generic Metoprolol Succ ER 50 mg Tasan.  I'm taking 1/2 pill once a day, and not feeling well on it.  My irritable bowell symptoms (IBS) are kicking up; I'm also irritated/agitated.  Feel like I want to jump out of my skim. I generally don't do well on drugs because of my IBS, so I'm wondering if my side effects will improve or if I should be getting off this stuff and changing to another drug or trying something natural.  My readings are 121/68 with 73 pulse.  Should I try to stick this out a while longer?  Does anyone else out there also have these kinds of side effects?
Am new to the beta blocker game for a diagnosis of Bigeminy. I am on Metoprolol 25mg 2x a day. I am almost feeling worse from the medicine. I am not sleeping well at all, feel agitated/irritated, appetite is all off, feel general quezziness. My blood pressure norm is 115/65 so the meds are to regulate my Bigeminy I guess. Am still learning about it. I hate taking this medicine and am not convinced I even should be. This is scary stuff for me as I am healthy as a horse before my heart palpitations started about a year ago.
I too have appetite issues and feel worse.  And like you, in spite of my IBS, which I control with diet, I am quite healthy.  Don't know that I belong on this stuff, either.
Well, I figure that since I am on it, I can't just go off it and it has only been a few days. I started by cutting my pill in half to see how I felt on it and then take the whole pill. My dosage is 25mg and yours is 50mg. Should you be taking it twice a day? Like you, I don't know, I am trusting my Doctor. I will be seeing a cardiologist soon to get a further work up. I just really want to sleep. My nights are worse, anxiety mostly.
After I complained about having problems concentrating and focusing, my cardiologist switched me from Toprol XL to Atenolol (both 50 mg - 1/day).  The switch helped but wasn't immediate.   My other meds are lisinopril, plavix, vytorin, and 81 mg asprin due to a triple bypass in 2005.  I also have an ICD implanted due to low EF after the bypass. (it has since improved to 40% and I'm shopping to get it removed).  

I still have some problems with fatigue, occasional dizziness and light headedness and some of it has to be attributed to the heart attack(s), bypass, and less than normal EF.  I know what you mean about walking zombie.  I could function but not all that well and didn't realize it was happening for quite a while.  I'm still not back to 100% and will be talking to the dr. again soon.

You didn't say why you are taking the Toprol.  There are valid reasons for taking this type of drug.  In my situation, the stuff at the vitamin store is not going to cut it.   You may want to give the it some more time and discuss a med change with your doctor.  there are other meds they can prescribe that will do similar things.  

Best of luck!

Yes your very right on the spot there ! about the vitamin store and natural products.. I spent alot of money on a few top line natural b.p meds.. that dont work ! simple as that !!!  but l had to give it try.
I put the brakes on for now with taking natural b.p meds.. and im back on the old crapy toprol xl and diovan.. I feel like junk! but b.p is down to normal again.. Yes I did switch my hmo to ppo plan and open access - so I had more control over who I see and get care from.  I will see a New Doctor and somehow get switched to another med asap!  if they will do it ?  as iv been refused 4 times already...
but by all hmo doctors. The reason I was put on toprol xl /diovan  was the fact I was on Atenolol for about 6 or 7 years --long time !! and like you I couldnt sleep at night , and has some very bad side effects happen. I also have palpiations time to time -this started from taking Procardia xl for about 6months - doc at diffrent hmo system I had (years ago) kept upping the doseage on me..
due to stubborn high b.p. readings.. that wouldnt drop down (where she wanted them to be)  so up on the dose she went -at 90mg within 6days on that dose, I began to have palipations happen here
and there slow.. but as the days went on.. it got worse ! so bad infact it felt like a rapid fire rifle.. or what I called a old model A ford  engine missfireing!! I ended up in the ER.. and they told me I had
damage to a receptor in my heart , that sends the signal to the brain.. so it gets it backwords now
and gos fast when the signal is slow. ??  since iv had test after test.. cardiology says its pvc's  not
to worry about them.. and just keep on a beta blocker to control them and b.p.

I think with all the b.p meds on the market today, there has to be something that can work.. and wont have as bad side effects ? I think being in a Hmo system or plan.. your limited to what the Doctor can do, and what he or she can perscribe to you.  Im hopeing the ppo plan will be a bit better
with less controls.  and more options..

thank you and take care as well.   booger!

The Generic form of Toprol xl  or Toprol - is not like the normal Non Generic TOprol is.. alot of people online and whom iv talked with ,that take this medication, do not all like it ! and have problems with it
more than the Non Generic Toprol xl ..I expect hearing or seeing a Law suit filed soon for this drug !
as far as Natural Meds go -to be Honest with you, iv now tryed 12 diffrent types and went to a Holestic Doctor for 2months!!  Waste of time and Money!! I have to say... as no help -nothing worked
only 2 Natural meds seemed to lower b.p but only by 3points down.. not too good !!  and I smelled like Garlic so bad , no one could get near me!!  not to mention the Gas I had as well.. lol...

Toprol xl /Toprol will effect your lower tract and bowells. as well cramp you up at times! side effects
it has a lot of side effects (see online toprol xl side effects )  its best if you have a good Doctor to go and see him/her.. and try another medication - remember when on toprol xl or toprol beta blocker
you have be weaned off it slow.. unless your on a low dose.. you Doctor will know how to do it..
if he or she is willing..

I for the life of me, cant figure why any good Doctor anywhere would prescibe this junk to anyone !
as it has so meny side effects to it..  

thanks for posting.. take care and good luck ! boogernose..
You have the normal side effects from toprol (beta blocker medication)  No sleep ! restless jumpy..
so on.. I would think it very wise if you ask your Doctor to take you off the stuff, and switch to another medicaiton with less side effects.  hope your not in a Hmo group.. as they are limited to what they can do or hand out for medications !!    I sometimes feel like a Ginny Pig with some doctors iv had.. ..

well good luck to you.. and hope you get switched to another type or brand.. or something that works better without such harsh side effects.. . 2 words  Toprol Sucks !
I can't seem to get a return phone call from the cardiologists office. I must be low on their priority which is sort of a good thing because they must not think my case is anything serious because I am a woman and under 50.  I just want to get everything resolved so I can feel normal again.  I am afraid to excercise, anxious at night because of the heart irregularity as I feel it more and not sleeping well. I will definetely ask about a different medicine as I have no experience in this. By reading about this drug, I at least have a little more info. I am thankful for all the postings!   I have a PPO so that is good!
Been on Toprol 100 mg once a day in 25mg HCTZ for my high blood pressure for 2 months now. I've notice I been gaining 2 to 3 pounds a week while on this medication. Now mind you I'm a gym rat. I workout 6 to 7 days a week and run 5 to 6 days a week. No matter how hard I workout, or run I can't seem to keep my weight down. Is it just me or is anybody else having weight problems from this medication(Toprol)?
Toprol xl  and rapid waight gain is a known side effect !  no bones about it-  the main problem is loosing waight while on the medication.. you can loose waight, by cutting back on breads, and sugar intake and salt.
however be it known, the waight will bounce back!  as it is a side effect
from this drug.  I have gained some 12 lbs while on this med -lost it and within a few months its right back.  I have talked to Doctors about this
and they think im nuts!  but its from the drug Toprol xl ..

also please note, I never had any waight problems untill I was put on Toprol xl .. its one Nasty Mean Drug !  

thanks for the information...  I have to tell you that I had the worst nightmares, it woke me up screaming, terrified my husband and kids, never in my life have I ever done that before.  I've been taking toprol Xl 25 mg/day because after 4 days of my heart beating fast and slow and going to the emergency room, seeing a cardiologist for blood work and stress test, he says I am fine.  My blood pressure was high and now it does help.  The biggest problem now is insomnia and I can still feel my heart racing fast at times.  I feel tired and worried.  I want off this drug, I have never taken any medications before except asprin.  I'm 43 - is this what I have to look forward too?  I walk everyday, try to take care of myself,   I wish I had a good doctor and our insurance was better.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
greyshadow what was your echo reading percentage and how long did you go on the stress test.
I have been off Toprol xl and diovan now for over 4 weeks - went to a good Doctor who helped me ! and cared and took the time and understood my problems with adverse side effects ! hes one out of 8 Doctors iv seen over the years!  I was put on ccb verapamill - and its working fine - my doctor is working with me weekly and were adjusting the medication to my pulse and b.p readings.. so far no big side effects
other than I get out of breath here and there when doing something fast
as running but if I stop its fine and Im normal - doc says its just me adjusting to the meds it takes time.. shortness of breath is a side effect
of this drug ! if dose is too high , so it needs adjustment again.

I feel fine , but did have to deal with about 8 days of withdrawal effects
from the toprol xl .. as that drug is one of the worst ever drugs iv taken
for h.b.p.  no way around it !    

a ansure to above poster..  yes I did get nightmares from toprol xl
and vivid dreams and no sleep some nights !  
toprol is a nasty bad drug to take ..   It took me 8 doctors and 4years
to find one good Doctor .. in my insurance plan.

thanks to everyone for ansures and questions here. it helped me
and im doing well now  off the toprol and diovan.  
boogernose
All that being said, I'm still worried about the sky falling thing.  Are you pretty sure about that, or, are you just playing with us??  Inquiring minds NEED to know.

Glad you're feeling better.
I tried Toprol XL for 4 months on an unrelated diagnosis and had a few bad dreams and other stuff.  I was taking 150 mgs.  I started getting some hair loss in the non male pattern baldness areas, and did a little research of my own.  It is one of only 26 pharmaceuticals of the millions out there that causes hair loss.

Silly me, @ 31 years old, I choose an elevated heart rate and a full head of hair.  But I looked damn good in that ER the other night.  I have a nasty Hiatal Hernia that causes my bad heart mojo.  But yeah, bad dreams and hair loss for sure with Torprol XL.  Alot of people say that too.
-T
I've been on Toprol XL 400 mg and have no relief from constant heart palpitations so bad they feel like my heart is doing somersaults and is going to jump out of my chest. I've never had HBP but in 3/2000 I had DVT after breaking my ankle and having it casted too tightly while it was still swollen, cut off the circulation, and literally 100's of PE's (as seen on a venous doppler scan) in my lungs. Almost died, stopped breathing, had a code blue called for me, very dramatic and embarrassing! Now I have a lot of scar tissue in my lungs and my normal heart rate is between 80-120 bpm. I was put on Atenolol, didn't work, then I was put on Toprol XL 100, then 200, then 400, still not working. I have chronic insomnia, and sometimes nightmares when I do sleep. I get horrible headaches, infrequent IBS, I'm constantly short of breath and tired. I rarely get dizzy. I did gain a LOT of weight, but I'm not sure if it's due to the medicine or not being able to exercise because of the palpitations being so extreme. And I can vouch for the XL being definitely extended release, as soon as 23 hrs go by from my last dose (I was told to take the 400mg all together in the evening) my heart starts doing a dance that would challenge any hip hop dancer! After reading everyone's comments, I am definitely going to ask my new doctor her opinion on whether I can wean myself off this high dose and maybe start losing weight and feeling normal again. My last echo showed my heart was "generally" ok, whatever that means. And I really can't see how losing weight and getting sleep could be any worse than how I feel while on this medicine!
I took it for two days and had a terrible reaction, I was a zombie, my dizziness got so bad I was confined to a bed and because of my asthma (beta blockers sometimes are bad for people with asthma) I couldn't breathe very well. Also my heart rate dropped to 40-50. This is the third beta blocker I have been on and my doctors finally concluded that I can not take them. :(
Beta blockers are one of the only medications that they can use for me, so I'm pretty much left to deal with the heart pain, tachycardia and palpations, on my own, until they find out more of whats wrong with me. I'd just like to have surgery and get it over with.
That is one big dose of Toprol ! - I was on 200mg then after 4.5 years cutt down to 150mg - I feel for you, as I know your haveing side effect after side effect from this Nasty Bad Drug Toprol !!!!  
It hard to belive some Doctors, do things such as your Ankle  and cast then code blue on top all that !  omg !!  talk about Malpractice !
I was a skinny guy before the toprol - I gained very rapid when on the toprol - in less than 8months at least, 12 lbs.  and I ate like a bird..
and walked daily- 2miles ???  its the Toprol doing that .. no way around it-  the baldness is common of beta blocker medication.  get ready if you stay  on it,  to become a American Bald Eagle -with beer belly.
its Insane !!  
It took me 8 Doctors - 4Years of Demanding to get off the Toprol xl.
before I found a single Doctor, who cared and is willing to work with me
Im in a state of Shock now ! due to that fact !  

If your in a hmo plan or ppo plan,  it will be hard to find a Doctor who will take you off the medication/ or switch it to another type.
I had to cancle my old hmo plan and switch to top grade ppo plan.
with another insurance company -  It worked doing it that way..
No matter what , you have a right to change medications.  as gee wiz..
your paying for service and care.. and getting more less bent over !
and abused !  no worse than that.. due to the code blue you had..

hang in there, and try to be strong, I know its hard to do and deal with.
as its like being a living zombie on that stuff.
I really feel for you.. and sorry to hear of such problems!!

Good luck - and keep demanding to get off or change the meds.
someone will listen and help you.. never give up !

booger
It sure felt like the sky was falling , when on the Toprol xl  that is for sure..
but im about 85% better now and No  the sky is no longer falling  LoL...
At least I can think better, and no more short term memory loss ..  yep im fine for now.
who knows tomorrow ?

Toprol is Nasty bad - one of the worse beta blockers on the market !  alot of people cant deal with its side effects -  I was told by a Doctor a few years back, there is medication
for palps - but it has alot of side effects too ?  as I get palpatations time to time..
I guess one way, you dont have to have bad side effects from any beta blockers..
Im on a ccb cal channel blocker now, feel ok, but do have some issues , with shortness of breath at times, out of breath winded.. due to the ccb.. side effects ..
this also happend when on ace inhibbitors -  and big cramps too !   hate that stuff.

Good luck on all tests, and hope they find your problem soon.
all the best boogernose
I just mailed the makers of Toprol xl  - all the postings here -with my past history on this
medication - listing all the adverse side effects I had - plus what is here on this site.

I belive it may go to deaf ears !  or will be filed away in the trash can , as its big money!
and bussniss in charge !   -  I felt they should know, maybe someone will read it and
do what is right ?  

though I know, im more less yelling up a dead cows behind.   yuck!  I will change that
to -  going knowhere at all.  

I also sent to the FDA and a few watch groups .. hopefully something might happen ..
if the right person gets the info..  

wheres Michal Moore when you need him ?  
How did you manage to find a physician who did the requisite blood work?  I hope that in subsequent years you have learned that this doc must be 1 out of a million, even though the monitoring tests are not only advised, but necessary for efficacy of the drug.