Heart Disease Expert Forum
wpw drug and pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

wpw drug and pregnancy

Hi, on Tuesday sept 24th I got a bad episode of fast heart beat, SV due to WPW syndrome and the doctor put me on medication which I started as of yesterday. Metoprolol 50 ml 1x day, I have not noticed any change yet but my question is, what is the harm for an unborn baby using metoprolol? I am not pregnant but we are planning to have our 2nd child.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
FDA assigns class C to metoprolol for use in pregnancy.  Class C refers to the class of drugs  that should be used only when the benefit outweighs the risk in pregnancy.
To directly answer your question-  there are no controlled human studies to tell you the effect/ adverse effect of metoprolol in pregnancy.
Although metoprolol  readily  crosses the placenta, there are  no signs of beta blockade (low heart rate, blood pressure)  reported in the fetus.

I recommend that you discuss the plans of conception with your doctor,  so that he can closely monitor your condition.
clearly,  you do require a great control medication for supraventricular tachycardia,  as uncontrolled heart rate might pose a greater risk to your pregnancy.

Hope that helps

CCFHeartMD19