Heart Health Community
Normal hospital stay after bypass
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to general heart health and topics that are heart-health related such as nutrition, diet, and heart-healthy exercises. Please visit our Heart Disease, Heart Rhythm and Heart Cancer communities for discussions relating to all other cardiovascular disease and treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Normal hospital stay after bypass

My 76 year old father had triple bypass surgery on Monday. Tuesday the dr. told him he would go home by Wednesday night. Luckily the fact that dad was so dizzy he could barely walk on Wednesday got him extened until Thursday and then moved to a rehab center.

So what is the norm for hospital stays after bypass for someone in his 70's, with chronic back pain, diabetis, kidney problems and high blood pressure?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
63984_tn?1385441539
I'm a volunteer at a cardiac ICU, and the normal hospital stay is between five and seven days.  I can't recall a patient discharged earlier than four days after a bypass surgery.  I would hope the rehab center your father went to had full cardiac recovery facilities.
Blank
907968_tn?1292625804
Granted I'm considerably younger than tswaters father, which makes the difference, but my bypass was April 21, 2009 and was discharged April 24 and there was talk of letting me go on the 23rd.  It's just a mater of semantics but I figured I'd mention it anyhow that there are those that are release earlier.  However my total stay was seven days which included the angiography
Blank
Beautifull collection by Revathi
Blank
976897_tn?1379171202
I was operated on monday morning and went home Friday morning. I was 46 at the time, and they said I recovered very quickly. It still took another year before all discomforts were gone.
Blank
4687721_tn?1358037017
I had a CABG X 3 back in 2002 in Perth West Aust at age 62. I stayed in hospital 7 days and still needed a friend to carry my case down to the taxi when I went home. But I suppose there are different ideas in different countries. I am now 11 years down the road from my bypass, and am cruising on my RECODITIONED Engine at 73 years.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
Blank
wideopen commented on Mediterranean Diet Ma...
Oct 16
Blank
destyzpa added the Pain Tracker
Sep 12
Blank
destyzpa added the Weight Tracker
Sep 12
Heart Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank