Heart Health Community
What is the best care protocol for recovery after bypass surgery?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to general heart health and topics that are heart-health related such as nutrition, diet, and heart-healthy exercises. Please visit our Heart Disease, Heart Rhythm and Heart Cancer communities for discussions relating to all other cardiovascular disease and treatments.

Hello. I'm new to this website. On June 4, 2010, my father suffered cardiac arrest. Through many twists of fate, divine intervention and overall good luck, he survived his bout with ventricular fibrillation after 3 minutes of unconsciousness.

He remained unconscious for about 18 hours after the cardiac arrest. he suffered short term memory loss in the first few days but that improved significantly to about 80-90% before his bypass surgery. He had his triple bypass on June 11 and was discharged on June 15.

My mother also had a heart attack as a result of the stress that my father collapsing caused. My grandmother also lives with my mom and dad.

I want to help them but when I go over there with my 2 kids it seems to stress my father out more and he ends up feeling more ill (understandably so).

What is the best care protocol following bypass surgery to help care for my father and hopefully minimize the depression that so often comes after these events? Is it best to have professional help to keep things even and measured? or will he benefit more from family there to help while my mother is not at 100%?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
When anyone has heart problems, it causes physical and mental trauma. It comes as nothing short of a huge shock to the mind and body. I remember that after my bypass surgery I had to fight really hard to keep looking on the bright side and not slide down the slippery slope of depression. What I needed the most was to talk about things, like how I felt, what my future would be like. The head fills with 100 questions and yet nobody seems able to answer them at home. I think what your Father needs for the first few weeks is a quiet, unstressful life but one where there is always someone to talk to. After this time, he really needs to get into a cardiac rehab program where he will meet others with heart problems. He will also be educated a lot about heart conditions and be given a lot of confidence. I think it's harder for a man because we are used to being able to work hard for ourselves and our family. When you have bypass surgery you are suddenly reliant on others. I found it nice to have a lot of family around me, it took my mind off things, but young children can be noisy and stressful. Maybe take one at a time if possible. But cardiac rehab is very important and he will make new friends there too. He will see how others have been in worse situations and come out fighting.