Heart Rhythm Archive Expert Forum
Racing Heart and Alcohol

WELCOME TO THE INTERNATIONAL HEART RHYTHM FORUM: This forum is for questions about Arrhythmias, Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Drugs-Medications, Electrophysiology-EPS, Flutter-Fibrillation, Investigational Treatments, Living with Issues, Maze Procedure, Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC), Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC), Prognosis, Research, Tachycardia, Treatment-Therapy.

Racing Heart and Alcohol

So i've had PVCs and palpitations every once in awhile for about 4 years now, and i've had it checked out, 30 day monitor everything is fine, but i'm 20 years old and a college student, and when i drink my heart rate automatically goes up and stays that way until the next morning, i've gotten used to it but i was wondering if this is damaging my heart, or if it's one of those things that i just have to accept. Since i am in college and we do drink alot, i want to know i'm not putting myself at risk (other than knowing that excessive alcohol drinking is bad for everyone), and is there a connection between having a heart rhythm problem and getting a racing heart rate from alcohol?
1 Comment
Hi, My electrophysiologist told me that for some people with heart rhythm problems alcohol can be a trigger. have you thought about drinking while wearing a monitor? to find out if it's a dangerous rhythm, you need to find out what kind of rhythm it is. also it's important to know if your heart is healthy otherwise, no structural abnormalities or heart disease. have you had an echo or stress test?

For me certain things that i drink are more likely to trigger taych. wine and beer seem worse than drinking something like gin or vodka, which are usually fine. i was told that this is because of the way they are made?  but if i have more than a few drinks, my heart will race.

hope that helps.