Heart Rhythm Archive Expert Forum
Resting Heart Rate

WELCOME TO THE INTERNATIONAL HEART RHYTHM FORUM: This forum is for questions about Arrhythmias, Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Drugs-Medications, Electrophysiology-EPS, Flutter-Fibrillation, Investigational Treatments, Living with Issues, Maze Procedure, Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC), Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC), Prognosis, Research, Tachycardia, Treatment-Therapy.

Resting Heart Rate

I am a 30 year old male and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I also had several episodes of panic attacks. After 4 months of treatment with carbimazole & propranolol, I am now clinically euthyroid and there's no more panic attacks & tachycardia.

I have been doing brisk walking for last one month. I started slowly, but now I walk briskly on plain surface, slopes and stairs. I walk approx 2 miles everyday for 45 minutes.

I have been still advised to be on Carbimazole 20 mg. I take 1/4th of a 10mg Propranolol in the morning and 1/4th is the night. So, it's 5 mg in a day.

Recently I observed that when I wake up in the morning, my heart rate is around 62 - 68. Full day it hangs around 68 - 76. It only crosses 100 and touches 160 when I am doing my evening walks.

One night when I was about to sleep, I checked my heart rate and it was 62. I heard normal heart rate should be between 60 - 100. Mine seems to be slipping down. This gave me a small panic attack and my anxiety is back. I heard that slow heart rates can cause sudden death. I am afraid for my health.

I cannot stop on Carbimazole and the little Propranolol that I take. Should I approach a specialist or do you thing that this condition is benign? Also, can I stop Propranolol and start with Clonazepam on as-need-basis?
Also, I have no cholesterol, no diabetes, do not smoke (quit 4 months back) and drink very rarely. All other tests results are normal. Only my thyroid levels fluctuate. T3 is normal, T4 is little bit high in decimals. And TSH is 0.01. I am overweight, but am trying to lose weight. My mother too has hyperthyroidism. She is euthyroid now. My BP was high during panic attacks and anxiety episodes, but normally it is 120/80. I was advised to take anti-depressant, but decided against it. The walks that I do has partially helped me overcome my fears. But I read too many internet articles and a recent one about slow heart rate has given me health anxiety.
The pranayam will help to regulate your heart and do the thyroid exercises.Tell mum to do this as well.Come back in 3 months with your progress.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Thyroid point – press (50 times) the fleshy bit on palm between  the base of thumb and wrist on both hands. You will feel pain when you press if you have thyroid symptoms.

Thyroid exercises
1 Neck exercise for thyroid.
Breathe in slowly while turning your head to the left, pause and hold breath for 3 seconds,
Breathe out slowly while  bringing the head back to middle position,pause for 3 seconds,
Breathe in slowly while turning your head to the right, pause and hold breath for 3 seconds,
Breathe out slowly while bringing the head back to middle position.
Do this exercise 5 times.
Repeat this 5 times, with the head going up and back, and then head going down.

2 Neck exercise for thyroid
Stand on your knees with hands folded across your chest,
Lean backwards with the head falling back while breathing in, hold breath for 3 seconds,
come back to straight position, while breathing out.
Repeat this 5 times.