catacholamines
Ok. Just when I thought I was ok..I got a call back from my cardio doc. I had a Cataholamines blood draw. The results came back. and now the doc has ordered a 24 hour urine test. I'm so worried. the nurse told me the doc said the resluts were equivical at this point and he needs the urine test to make a diagnosis. But the message I received from the nurse was that the doc was not concearned.I'm confused. I also still need to have a tilt table done but chickend out on that last week. guess.. they want to rule out POTS. Anyway, still have a high heart rate in the am.. and then over the course of the day and evening it's in the normal range for me 80's 90's and even as high a 100. So.I don't know what to think but this is all getting me very upset. Is it possible that my nerves can be the root cause of all this?
Catacholamines are released in the body when a person is under stress. It will certainly cause the heart rates to increase. Why does your doctor want to do a tilt test? And why did you 'chicken out'?
I know it's really hard to do, because I've walked a mile in your shoes, but usually, the doctors want to err on the side of safety when running tests, so they'll test you from tip to toes just to rule out all of the dangerous diagnoses.

But yikes - don't chicken out.  What if there is something dangerous but easily fixable going on?  A tear in your break line is something quick and inexpensive to fix, but don't fix it and you'll be headed into traffic with no way to stop.  I'm sure I understand why you chickened out - you don't want to find out that there is something really bad going on, and not taking the test is a way to not let a diagnosis be true.  Or something like that.  That argument goes on in my head, too.  But you have three little ones, right?  And I bet they'd love to know that Mom is doing everything she can to be around for them when they graduate, go to college, get married, have their own babies, etc.  In fact, walk through the discussion in your head, explaining to your children why it is that you aren't taking the tilt table test.  I bet that changes your mind.

But here are some things to consider - the nurses aren't usually instructed to lie.  If the nurse told you the doctor wasn't really worried, then she was probably telling the truth.  Another thing to consider - if the condition they suspect you have is eminently dangerous (i.e. you could drop dead tomorrow), they'd most certainly call you into their offices immediately.  There was a member here who had a Holter monitor (or maybe an event monitor, don't recall which), the nurse saw his rhythm strips, called a cardiologist, who promptly told him to get to the ER.  His problem was one easily managed with medication, but one that shouldn't be left untreated.

As someone on the outside looking in, if they are wanting to test you for catecholamines, it sounds like the doctor suspects the problem is stress.  From Wikipedia:  "Catecholamines are hormones that are released by the adrenal glands in situations of stress such as psychological stress or low blood sugar levels."  That sounds pretty straightforward and innocuous to me.

Go have your tests.  Imagine how much easier your life will be knowing you've been thoroughly inspected and found to be healthy.

There were 3 reasons I did not take the test that day. #1 When I got there the slip had a diagnosis of fainting. I have never fainted nor have I ever come close..so I was confused. Also the lady who was to do the test said that if I feel faint it's important to let myself faint... that freaked me out. #2..I was leaving that day to go out of town. #3 I had dentall surgey to be done two days later.. it was just all to much for me. So, I called back my cardio doc.. and she explained why fainting was written.. that was so insurance would cover it. She said it was no big deal that I backed out.. and that after my mouth heals to re-schedule.. and I have re-scheduled. for next week. I have been through so many tests over the last 9 months.. this is really all getting to me now. Anway, I am doing the urine test today.. so I will be dropping that off at the lab in the am and should have some reults by the end of the week. I guess if the doc said not to worry.. then I should not. But sometimes that's hard to do. thanks for your advice and support.
It is hard, I know.  The definition of courage is NOT that you aren't afraid, but that you are afraid and do the thing anyway.

Go be courageous.  If not for you, for your kids.
It's illegal to give a diagnosis that is not true, to insurance companies,
Just to update everyone. My urine test came back normal..so I guess I don't have an adrenal issue. I'm happy about that.
That is great news.  But what will you do when the doctor tells you that you have a three children issue?  :)

Is there anything you can do to alter your schedule so that mornings aren't so hectic?
I'm working on that. Going to start the lexapro and ween off my xnanx as directed by my doc. Have only been on 1 mg of xnanax but it's been for 9 motnhs, so I know that's going to take some weaning. I've also made some adjustments to my am schedule. When I get up..I take a bath instead of a shower.. relaxes me. This is before I get the kids up. Only on cup of Joe.. so I don't get spastic.. and big deep breaths. Working so far.