Heart Rhythm Community
1st av heart block, Scheduled Surgery..

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

1st av heart block, Scheduled Surgery..

Hi I want to ask this question to a doctor who might help me. I have a 1st degree av block, I also suffer from a allergies and blocked nose from it and do a lot of mouth breathing.. I finally saw a ENT ( ear nose throat doctor) and he made me get a cat scan of my sinuses. He found a bad diviated nose septum and large nose turbinates that might be upstruckting air from flowing up my nose.. So the ENT want to fix everything with surgery and he wants to do it next month. I told him I want the surgery but I wasn't sure if it was safe for someone with a first degree av heart block. My question is I would need to have anesthesia with breathing tube and surgery would be two hours long. Is this safe and ok for someone with a knowned 1st degree av block? Will I be ok or should I postpone the surgery till I am cleared by a cardiologist. I'm scared that my heart might not be strong enough for a two hour surgery and I might have some type of heart complications.. Is there anyone who can help me answer my question, is this safe thing to do?
Clearly your doctor and the surgeon should be able to advise, perhaps you could ask them specifically to consult with your Cardiologist.

For my limited knowledge, but still an person who has undergone heart surgery, I don't think there is any problem - unless of course, you have to let the sinus surgery heal before subjecting your both to intrusions in your breathing passage.  I think, have been there, a breathing tube goes directly to the lungs, and so your nose has nothing to do with it.

I ask that you consider making a post on the Ears, Nose and Throat Community document your experience and asking for input.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Ear--Nose--Throat/show/70
oxer, I have had first degree heart block for decades, and have had sinus surgeries as well as several other kinds of surgery, and no doctor has even blinked at this.

As you know from previous discussions here, first degree heart block does not cause any symptoms and is considered medically insignificant.  Please read this:

http://www.freemd.com/first-degree-heart-block/overview.htm

and *memorize* this part of it:  

"What are the symptoms of a first degree heart block?
First degree heart block does not cause symptoms."

You are in the hands of capable doctors, and you have nothing to worry about from your heart.

On the other hand, you do show a bunch of worries related to anxiety, and some sessions with a therapist who specializes in that could give you a lot of relief.

Many folks have a 1st degree heart block (especially children and athletes)- this is a benign condition.  If you have any concerns about this and surgery, please speak to your surgery about this.
Its good to hear from someone who's been thru the same situation. I feel some relief knowing things should be ok.. Yes health anxiety has been a big factor the last few months. First I've been schedule an endoscopy for my Getd issues and now septoplasty sergury for my sinuse issues..that in itself brought my lots of anxiety and it does a number on my heart..