Heart Rhythm Community
22 year old chest pain abnormal Ecg/ekg

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

22 year old chest pain abnormal Ecg/ekg

I am 22 years old, active gym user. Bmi 26ish. I have been having chest pain for a few months and went to see the doctor 2 days ago who sent me to have an ECG. Initially the nurse said it was normal but today i have had a phone call from the doctor saying that it was an abnormal ecg. Went to go see him and he said of the 12 leads 2 were showing an abnormality, the other 10 were fine. I am worried sick now. He is sending the ecg off to a cardiologist for his/her opinion on whether it would warrant further investigation.  Immediately im thinking CHD or heart failure!! Can anyone give me some advise? Thanks
Hi MikesterH,

I wouldn't worry too much but I would take it a little easy on the exercise until you hear back from the cardiologist. I was about your age when I was diagnosed with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy (weak heart muscle) found out that all of my grandmothers brothers and sisters had the same thing. The best advice I can give you is not to worry! Think about it but do let it get the best of you :) I was in the same situation at about the same age (now I'm 39) and I had to wait for the cardiology attp that took 3 weeks!
There is a condition known as Athlete's heart where the walls of the heart become to thick. The fact that you work out at the gym, may have caused your heart muscle to thicken. This is normal as the heart, like all of the other body's muscles becomes thicker when pushed. This may be what your doctor is seeing on the EKG and he may be thinking Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which also has thickened walls. Usually if you have any of the actual cardiomyopathies where the muscle itself is diseased, you would not have the energy to go to a gym, let alone exercise.
Thanks for advice guys. Im even more confused today. I work in a doctors surgery and had another ecg done today, normal sinus rhythm. Show thr doctor and he said it looks fine to him. Sent it on to my doctor but he says that he still wants me to be seen by a specialist.  
Heres what my ecg reads.  
RR 835 ms
P 108 ms
PR 124 ms
QRS 82 ms
QT 332 ms
QTC 365 ms

Axis :
P 54
QRS 60
T -4

P (II) 0.17 mV
S (V1) -0.73 mV
R (V5) 1.28 mV
Sokol 2.02 mV

christopher007 commented on photo
Mons11 is Comment
LindaTX commented on photo
May 24